Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 for sale

I have been offered a girder fork BSA M20 for approximately 3000 Australian dollars which equates to about 1700 English pounds. The bike is reasonably complete though in need of a total restoration. It has a later model gearbox fitted and also appears to have a later model engine. There is no clutch or speedo.

If I bought the bike I would probably look at restoring it to "civilian mode" as I already have an original 1942 M20. So other than obtaining the correct gearbox for it I would not be too concerned about total originality.

As yet I have not seen the bike as it is located about 200 kilometres from my home, I have just been sent some photos of it.

I understand the costs involved in a restoration, what I am wondering is, if the price being asked for the bike reasonable as it stands?

I have attached some links for photos of the bike, hopefully they work.

https://ibb.co/47qtc4w
https://ibb.co/5k53H2v

email (option): nilon@westnet.com.au

Re: BSA M20 for sale

It would be an absolute bargain if it was in the UK. I don't know much about prices in Oz but it looks to be a really good buy. I recently paid quite a bit more for one in boxes and much worse condition.

Tony.

email (option): tony-wilkinson@sky.com

I'd buy that if I were you. It has prewar deluxe girder forks.

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

The frame is also a later tele fork model if you look at the front engine mount area so the engine might match the frame?
I'm not certain about the chronology of the changeover to the later style gearbox for the M models but I think it was around the time of the switch to tele forks so it is possibly a later model with the earlier girders fitted.
The primary case (outer at least) also looks to be a later one as does the generator.

I would think that isn't too far off the mark for Australia these days assuming there are internals in the engine and gearbox - I haven't seen many M20s of any vintage in an almost complete state come up for a while.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Seems to cheap to me specially from a shop as most complete ones in Australia are asking around $10000 nearly complete. But not getting that much been army one near Melbourne that has been on Ebay and gumtree for about 18 months. I notice the head has been off and looks like timing case covers might be missing screws not sure though. Might be missing internals for sure. Plenty are buying restored bikes from auctions here that have been in museums and have no engine or gearbox internals and Honda wheel rims but look the part from the distance with nice paint job. If you look at it and it is reasonable complete then yes a great buy with the girder forks. Last time I looked on Gumtree and Bike sales there were about 6 WM20 for sale around $10000. Trouble is trying to find someone to refurbish girder forks if they are stuffed. The old hands who knew about these bikes are now in old peoples homes or the grave yard unfortunately.

['The old hands who knew about these bikes are now in old peoples homes or the grave yard unfortunately..']

Not all of them, fortunately...:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I'll second that Ian!

John Parker
Seems to cheap to me specially from a shop as most complete ones in Australia are asking around $10000 nearly complete. But not getting that much been army one near Melbourne that has been on Ebay and gumtree for about 18 months. I notice the head has been off and looks like timing case covers might be missing screws not sure though. Might be missing internals for sure. Plenty are buying restored bikes from auctions here that have been in museums and have no engine or gearbox internals and Honda wheel rims but look the part from the distance with nice paint job. If you look at it and it is reasonable complete then yes a great buy with the girder forks. Last time I looked on Gumtree and Bike sales there were about 6 WM20 for sale around $10000. Trouble is trying to find someone to refurbish girder forks if they are stuffed. The old hands who knew about these bikes are now in old peoples homes or the grave yard unfortunately.
It is not from a shop but a private collector who is thinning down his collection.
Looks about right for an old club ride bike before every one became precious about originality .
I think this is the Neil who rang me a couple of weeks ago & the advice was go for it and check in with this list for help.

WM20's go a for a lot lower price down here than they do in the UK.
Post WWII I rather think the UK government sent a lot of unused WM20's down here .
They certinally sent us a lot of Welbikes to be sold off to us "wealthy Aussies "
Over the years I have come across way too many WM20's with matching numbers and numbers that are not in the Aust Army ledgers for there to be any other conclusion.
The price disparity is getting near the point that it will become very profitable to start sending them to the UK by the container load

Something about that bike bothered me from the day I firs saw the photographs of it
Now it has come back
That looks very much like Don Nolans old M20.
From memory that went to his brother Max after he died and Max would be getting on by now as well.
Don wanted girders and because he was getting on a bit and the body had sufferred from years of motorcycle racing back in the day he also wanted some rear end springing .
His shoulders were quite bad thus the deluxe forks with the rubber mounted handle bars
Down side was he had not ridden since having children and the ride from Lidcome to Homebush ( about 4 miles ) was too much and he had to get MArk to ride the bike home while I drove him back.

Don't think I ever saw it again as he decided to do some thing with his round tank that he never managed to finish
A really good bloke & keen BSA enthusiast .

Nieuwe pagina 1