Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA WM20 toolbox

I have the original toolbox for my 1941 WM20 but it is in poor condition, especially the lid which has holes in it. With a lot of work I can repair it if I have to.

Am I correct in thinking the military toolbox is different to the civvy one, ie same shape but different depth, if so would the lids still be interchangeable ?

Without getting into an argument as I nearly did asking a similar question about the Indian petrol tanks. Has anyone used an Indian toolbox for the WM20 and if so how was the fit as they all appear to be the same in the pictures on eBay.

Tony.

email (option): tony-wilkinson@sky.com

Re: BSA WM20 toolbox

The Indian tool boxes aren't very good...Apart from the fact they must be the right overall shape to fit (and I'm unsure if they are) I've noticed the radii along the edges are far too small....There are also other small details that could easily be incorrect...

As far as I'm aware the only difference between the civvy and military box is the depth, so the lid should fit...I'd certainly try that before choosing the Indian option personally....One detail difference which won't be visible when fitted is that the civvy box won't have the holder for the riders hand book on its inner surface...That's a relatively simple fabrication job though and could be added relatively easily....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: BSA WM20 toolbox

Thanks Ian,

I will look into finding another lid

Tony.

riels

Did the 1941 M20 have the document holder ?

I ask as I noticed recently that only 1,141 of the 3000 Ariels delivered under C10477 had an extra charge to include 'Metal pocket for Driver's Handbook in lid of toolbox' and they were delivered from October 1941.

Certainly, earlier Nortons with locking toolboxes didn't have it.

Re: riels

My 1941 WM20 has the document holder. But whether it had it in 1941??

Re: riels

My WM20 is also 1941 and has the document holder

Tony.

Nieuwe pagina 1