Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ebay Norton combos photo.

This photo was on ebay a few weeks ago for 85euro,then relisted for 65euro,dont know whether it sold after being relisted as cant find it now,they look like big 4 with non standard side car body,the other photo is on the probably taken at the same time at the same location.

Re: Ebay Norton combos photo.

Interesting, they appear to have the tall front sidecar springs, so I suspect these originally had box bodies.

Rob

big4-springs-front

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Good Call, Rob...from contract C6831 - "AA Box Body, 9" longer"

My notes show Contract C6831 having covered frame & engine nos S2116 - S2275 being for 160 machines. The contract commenced with army serial number C4185623 so according to my calculation army serial number C4185661 being the 38th combo of this contract would have had frame and engine nos S2154. I don't have an exact date for the Contract but the indications are it was late 1939 / early 1940 (before February 1940).

The front sidecar springs certainly indicate the box body was fitted originally and the French passenger sidecar body substituted. So that is another original Big 4 box body I missed out on!!

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

The Chilwell records show this contract being delivered from June 1940 through until February 1941...around 20 per month. The factory records survive for some of this contract. S2154 was delivered 27/8/1940. S2153 though wasn't despatched until 5th October !

The War Diary for 2nd Infantry Divison Provost for 21st April 1940 mentions that they were to receive 13 sidecar combinations with box sidecars for carriage and distribution of road signs....I've not been able to find any evidence for any arriving with the BEF prior to 10th May when the 'balloon went up'.

Presumably, with the BEF need removed, these machines became available for other uses.

Very nice photo's! The sidecarbody is manufactured by Bernadet, a French company. This type of sidecar bodies was also used on some French Army Gnome Rhone AX2 combo's.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

https://ibb.co/VTwKsHR

Nortons

Yes, Jan sent it me at the time, but they are official pictures from the ECPAD archive, and if anyone wants them, its a lot cheaper to order them there! I already had them for years, but 85 (or 65) is just too much for postwar pictures.

I had another theory on the higher springs, but it eludes me now.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

More on Bernardet Military sidecars : http://www.bernardet.com/sidecars/sidecars_militaires.html

Nieuwe pagina 1