Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what should i be looking for

Hi,
I'm looking to find a Bsa wm20 or similar to bring back to life. My question is what sort of money should I be looking to pay, and where other than ebay can I find one?thanks

email (option): leepocock1@googlemail.com

Re: what should i be looking for

Hello Lee,

That's a big and open ended question! It all depends on what you want and how original you want it to be when you're done. Bringing a motorcycle 'back to life' can mean almost anything from total restoration of an absolute wreck to tidying up a running bike. It also depends on where you are in the world. Here in the USA prices are relatively low for WM20s, because they don't have the same following (in numbers of people) that one would see in the UK.

There are plenty of dealers you can scope out. Stuart Bray has complete WM20s in the UK. Dutch Lion in the Netherlands often has WM20s. If you google BSA WM20 images you'll pull up a whole lot of pictures, many of which will be dealers and individuals selling bikes. This should give you an idea of asking prices.

I've no doubt other people on this forum will have suggestions, and possibly bikes to offer.

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Hi Lee,

I'm assuming you're in the UK? I was looking for an M20 two years ago, but didn't have the money to buy a rideable bike and opted to build one up from a frame. It costs more in the long run, but I enjoy the process of collecting the parts and putting it all together. What with Covid, I've collected 95% of an 1940 M21 now, mostly from companies advertising online, Ebay and thoroughly decent chaps on forums such as this. The postman must be wondering by now, mind.

When I looked for bikes, Yeomans Motorcycles reckoned they had M20s reasonably often, in various states of repair. At the time, I think their prices were in the £2500-5500 region for something needing love. If you haven't already, look to the BSA Owners Club forum and classified ads in Old Bike Mart, too. Top end prices for restored, original spec machines seem to be nudging £7500. But then, some people are happy to take out a mortgage to buy a CZ27 ammeter...

I've learned a lot in the last two years, especially about what not to buy (e.g. 'bargain' pattern parts from India) and how M20 spec changed during and after the war. I'm sure others with much greater knowledge and experience than me will respond. You're doing the wise thing to ask about.

Regards,

Craig

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Craig
That seems like the route I’ll be taking.

Speaking only for myself, I would not try to build a bike up from scratch. A decent frame is going to be about £800 or more and a good set of girder forks about £1000. It will cost far more money in the long run and would be very easy to lose heart at some point during this long process. There is an awful lot of parts to be found, even all of the nuts and bolts will cost hundreds of pounds.

Just my opinion, some might disagree.

Tony.

email (option): tony-wilkinson@sky.com

I think I agree with that....Build up from a bare frame is quite a job and every part will come at current premium prices...If you can find all of them...
A few years back I sold a lot of parts to a chap who built one up starting with a headlamp and a primary chain case he bought at a jumble!!! However, many of the multiple parts were much more common in those days...I'd keep your eyes open and look for a project bike that at least has the majority of the main parts present...They do still turn up....

I saw a complete one for sale last year for £5000 and that would be quite a lot less than you would build one up for at todays prices, when many parts are individually VERY expensive....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Here is one ready to roll on eBay. Probably about top dollar at £8k, but I guess there will be a bit of wiggle room in that, although its a dealer. Now I am no way an M20 expert but if that bike is all its cracked up to be and passes muster with those on this site who do know their M20s, then it seems to me that paying around £7.5k for a complete and A1 bike is going to be a much better bargain than trying to assemble a machine from expensive bits - although if you want that challenge, then thats fine of course. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265107588684?hash=item3db9a4c64c:g:4cgAAOSwi-dgZKqQ

That ones well over priced IMO...and misdescribed...:grimacing: ....Ian

An 1944 wd 20, never used..?
Thats's very unlikely isn't it ?

I think they've moved into the realms of fantasy....It's all that film work the bike has supposedly done..It's got a REME rebuild plate from Ashleford and it's had a replacement frame, something you wouldn't really have expected on a bike with a 'genuine' 200 or so miles on the clock...It's also a mixture of M20 parts from different wartime years and has post war handle bar levers..I haven't really examined the photos for anything else.....In other words a typical not very well finished M20..Nothing wrong with that at a sensible price, which is probably the price they paid for it...Ian:laughing:

Hi Lee,

I'm in the States, and have started out with an oil stain and a greasy rag.

I now have two lovely WD M20's, and a pair of WD G3l's.

If you want, I can fax an oil stain to you.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I know that's a joke but I wouldn't want Lee to take it literally and get the wrong idea about building up from nothing......Keep looking for a bike or most of one Lee!...Ian:smile:

Hi all,

Ian's right: it's simple madness to build any bike up from parts. It costs more than the finished article's worth and is a painstaking process. For me, once I decided thst I wanted a WM20, it was a choice between a big piggy bank or a long term project. Covid made the decision for me: the path of madness.

If I'd had the money, I'd have bought a more or less complete bike. That way, I'd have got many of the pricey, fiddly bits, despite the need to dissemble and check it all. But looking back, it's kept me more or less sane to have a 'project'. I don't recommend it, but at least I'll know every damn nut and bolt. And if it goes bang, it'll be all my fault...

Whatever gets ya there!

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

Good Morning Lee,
Is a motorcycle from abroad also an option for you?
I have been toying for a year with the idea of ​​selling my motorcycle + sidecar, top condition and with 12 volt alternator convertion, home made (looks far better then it sounds, can send you some pics).
The bike was completeley disassembled and renovated back to excellent condition. From the sidecar I left only the chassis, all sides, etc. are completely new.
I'm located in Israel.
I have not yet published it here in Israel.

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

The reply from Iain says it all really [I think they've moved into the realms of fantasy....It's all that film work the bike has supposedly done..It's got a REME rebuild plate from Ashleford and it's had a replacement frame, something you wouldn't really have expected on a bike with a 'genuine' 200 or so miles on the clock...It's also a mixture of M20 parts from different wartime years and has post war handle bar levers..I haven't really examined the photos for anything else.....In other words a typical not very well finished M20..Nothing wrong with that at a sensible price, which is probably the price they paid for it.] In other words, if you built a bike from separate parts, it would - realistically - end up something like this one, only it probably would have cost you more than what is being asked for here - which is not extortionate in the open market.

I Got my wm20 in several boxes and mist of the stuff wasn't m20 stuff when I sorted it out properly. And I payed silly money for it .

All the small parts like spacers ,nuts , bolts and other stuff really mount up in costs , and thats before even starting on, mags, dynamos, carb and all the other parts and tinware. And then putting the jigsaw together .

I think I have 10k in my bike at the moment and still not close to riding, but had non stop help from this forum . But one thing it looks brand new like its out of a factory and not like alot off the dogs you see for sale .

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1