Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New 'AMAL' carb...First impressions...

I received my new AMAL 289 carb today for my 1951 rigid B33....Here's my first impressions and observations for anyone considering a purchase...

Overall I have to say I'm very impressed with the finish...The various castings are extremely well finished with crisp, clear detaling and all the fittings and fasteners are nicely machined...
Mine is for use on a non standard 'civvy' bike so, in this case, I'm happy with the finish of the major fittings which appears to be bright nickel..Smaller fittings are in a bright finish that looks like a very well applied zinc finish but I'm not absolutely sure on that one...
So, for military applications or a standard spec. civvy machine these finishes are incorrect...I had the parts replated when I fitted a new 276 to my M20 but that isn't great when, for example, this carb cost £368....
The bellmouth, which was commented on in the earlier thread on this subject, is very nicely made in this case and comes in a bright chrome finish...Again something that would need attention for a military machine...
The carb came with the flange gaskets which is a nice detail but, being fussy, I didn't like the air adjustment and throttle stop screws, one of which has a straight cut knurl (as I recall the originals have) and the other a diamond cut knurl...A small discrepancy but one that shouldn't exist...
Next thing is to get it fitted up and to see how it performs...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: New 'AMAL' carb...First impressions...

How can a carburetor made in England cost £368 in the UK when in the USA it is much less? The new 276 on my M21 cost me $140 about 5 years ago which would be £102

You were lucky with that Bruce! The new genuine Amal pre Monoblock carbs here whether direct from Amal (Burlen Fuels) or firms like Hitchcocks or Surrey Cycles are all around £360.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Amal-Carburettors/276-Pre-Monobloc/12539

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The price also includes VAT and postage...Ian

Well, 'You learn something every day' as they say...
While on the phone to Burlens today about another subject I mentioned the 'odd' adjustment screws on the pre monobloc carbs..(One 'straight cut' knurl and one 'diamond cut' knurl) and after checking the original AMAL drawings for the type it turned out that was how they were made originally...
So, apologies to Burlens on that one....:pensive: ....Ian

...or perhaps an old 'Amac' or 'B&B' drawing for one screw was never updated ? None of the old dull chrome screws that I have feature a cross-hatched knurling.

Which screw is it , Throttle-stop or mixture ?

The pilot air screw has the cross cut knurl...Ian

I am surprised that you purchased a new Amal at that price five years ago as I buy off them at wholesale price which is a World wide wholesale price and five years ago I would be loosing lots of money at that price. Like everything else over the years they have gone up in price on a yearly basis. May be the dealer got it wrong and charged you for a MK 1 Concentric carburetter?

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.comat

Nieuwe pagina 1