Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who remembers this?...

The 'M20 only' tour to Normandy that came before '65 for 65' and provided, along with the NOBS group, the inspiration for that event...There were 17 M20s on this tour and 56 M20s on the 65th. along with 88 machines from other manufacturers.....I see the second bike in the row is a non M20 interloper!!...(perhaps Ed Abbot on his Matchless who I first met in Normandy)

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Who remembers this?...

I'm in there somewhere!

I've just been out this weekend on mine (first rides this year) running in my new 85mm piston. 45 miles today to the New Forest. Ron

DSCF3627-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I remember it very well!

I made some video’s during the rideout’s from the back of my dad’s WM20.
Also bought my first wm20 that week and collected it 2 weeks later.

https://youtu.be/i58BJD6sT24

And the long video

https://youtu.be/QRvg2OXm4Dk

Nick

looks veeery good, Ron.
The head lamp rim is black ?
I suppose thats correct.

Thanks Michel. I've had two NOS WD DU42 headlamps over the years. Both were service brown with mat/satin black rims. I don't know why really, but I just copied it. Originally of course it should be a black painted blackout mask, but I don't want to ride with that. Ron

I have a complete NOS DU42 at the moment and that is brown with a black rim...I've done my own bike with a black rim as well...

Nice films Nick...but that was 65 for 65...The M20 tour was 3 years before that...Ian

I bet Nick was still in short trousers then Ian. :smile: Ron

Young boys in short trousers, Ron ? I thought it was agreed that what happened in Normandy stayed in Normandy ?

Are those original bags on your M20 Ron?....Ian

Yes Ian. In fact they are the green ones (TRW?) which have faded down nicely to a more correct colour. I have another pair of those green bags "brand new" and kept hanging them out in the sunshine last year, hoping to fade the green, but the bloody things are holding fast. Ron
DSCF3638

That Tallflow looks great Ron , Ive still got 4 off them so may fit one to my M20. Hoping Arnhem is going ahead this year .

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

I've got a few pictures of the Talflow fitted to M20's and in two of them there is clearly a protection pad akin to the well documented Vokes pad. I'm going to try and make something up , but will have to use some guesswork/artistic license. Ron
Talflows-2

Hello Ian,

The nomination "BSA only" was not really correct.
At the other side of the row there is at least one more G3L (John Tinley) and one WD16H (mine).
I don't know the owner of the G3L at the left hand side of the row.

Cheers to all and keep safe,

Rob van den Brink

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Yes, I think this was when we met up at some point...The tour I organised that year was indeed M20s only though...17 in total...
Obviously on that occassion owners of other bikes were seeking to bask in the reflected glory...:laughing: ...Ian

Out of interest since it was mentioned. Both these BEF Royal Enfield's appear to have a black headlamp rim. Ron

Ron, the first image is not BEF. It's taken in the UK but difficult to know when.

I wonder if the lower photo actually has an overpaint of the blue BEF masking system ? Although it was supposed to be inside the glass, my KG3 rim showed a certain amount of blue on the outside.

Rik I agree that picture is in England, but is that not the Highland Division that went to France, one of which I believe is Jan's bike. The second picture is actually the bike that Lex now owns. Under advisement from Jan, I painted the rims black on both Ben and Lex's BEF WD/C's. Ron
Uh Oh! Now I've downloaded Jan's bike, I can see that I've got the markings mixed up.....But they are the same period!

WDC-thumb-jpeg-9001e4eaa7a175baac0db1e92be531a2

Yes, that was a stunning discovery, about exactly a year ago!!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Nieuwe pagina 1