Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Painted battery cases...

Where do you get the battery boxes? Whats the best battery to use in them? They look great green....

email (option): wadeschields@mindspring.com

I think Arnaud in France is possibly the only source for the replica WD batteries these days. But he needs some warmer weather for the resin to work satisfactory. He also has very sketchy internet connections, so we only get periodic updates. Keep an eye on the forum.

For years now, I've only ever used Cyclon dry cell batteries in all my bikes. I usually buy them from Mick Ash at jumbles, but he also sells via ebay. 2 x 5amp will fit a standard dummy box although I only use one in my magneto bikes, but there is also an 8 amp version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enersys-Cyclon-6-volt-5ah-SLA-Battery-ideal-for-classic-motorcycles/114189754736?hash=item1a963d6170:g:r1sAAOSwj7hemJFR

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes, no primer used, not even originally! here a picture of an original battery, fitted to an M20, with C number and all, found in Holland many years ago, and now fitted to a Matchless G3L!!!

Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Lex
Yes, no primer used, not even originally! here a picture of an original battery, fitted to an M20, with C number and all, found in Holland many years ago, and now fitted to a Matchless G3L!!!

Cheers, Lex
That's super interesting Lex! I have never seen the C number on ancillary parts before. Being found in Holland, I would imagine wartime? It certainly seems more of a post war type of a thing where parts such as these would be better accounted for than during wartime. Thanks for sharing!!

email (option): cormiersam@hotmail.com

Thanks Sam! it was certainly used during wartime, and the reason the C number was painted on there, was that Mr. Lucas was not very good at charging their batteries on the bike, so they had sometimes to be charged of off the bike, by mobile charging units, now, to make sure all batteries went back to their respective bikes, they painted the C number on them! Story from a veteran I spoke to many, many years ago.

Also note the earlier brown, and later green on top of that!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

wow thats interesting Lex :)

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

Steve S on this forum has posted pictures of his original batteries (I can't find them now) But I'm sure at least one of his has the C number painted on it. Ron

Hi Ron,my three original batteries from 43/44 all have remains of brown paint on them,the number on one of them turned out to be the part number of the battery,that part number is in some of the spare parts books from different makers.

The 1943 dated one is on the 43 Triumph,inside is an 8 amp cyclon battery.

Awesome thanks for sharing Steve :)

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

Thanks for confirming Steve. Ron

Lex
Thanks Sam! it was certainly used during wartime, and the reason the C number was painted on there, was that Mr. Lucas was not very good at charging their batteries on the bike, so they had sometimes to be charged of off the bike, by mobile charging units, now, to make sure all batteries went back to their respective bikes, they painted the C number on them! Story from a veteran I spoke to many, many years ago.

Also note the earlier brown, and later green on top of that!

Cheers,

Lex
I was always under the assumption the batteries were painted at the Lucas factory and then distributed to bike manufacturers. I painted my battery at a slightly different shade of green to emphasize that. I suppose the painted c numbers on the batteries were done at unit or workshop level once the bike was in service and not at the manufacturing plants?

email (option): cormiersam@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1