Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Removing M20 tappet guide

Do tell Michael ???? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the link; that's just the tool I need. Is it a BSA special? I've tried 12-point sockets, but nowt seems to fit well.

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

Success! Heat (again), great big Diamond Calk Horseshoe Company of Minnesota adjustable spanner and a Hilka lump hammer. I won't be uploading the video, mind.

Thanks for being there all of you.

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

That tool is homemade and I've seen a similar one or the same one by one of our Dutch forum members. The answer is, put it in the oven at 200 degrees till the case is sizzling hot. When your wife comes home, blame the neighbours for their smelly bonfire. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There is no tool on the market for this job that I know of...I made one using an old 1/2" drive socket and a bit of hexagon bar....I cut off the 'socket' to just leave the shank with the square hole...I then filed that to be a good fit on the square head of the follower guide...
Next I drilled the hex bar to the correct diameter to take the socket shank with a 5/16" hole all the way through for the tappet shaft to pass through...Then I welded the prepared socket in place...A bit crude but it works a treat...I made it years ago after I got fed up with stretching spanners and damaging the tappet guides...Heat the cases before unscrewing the guide...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes, it is my video... just like Ian I was also struggling with open-end spanners :upside_down_face: and I made the tool straight after Trevor shared his clever idea here, Thanks again Trevor :+1: :+1:

Short piece of square tube, reinforced with a ring:

20210224-205252-1

BR, Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1