Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spacer front mudgaurd

On with my current rebuild of my wm20 1945 total nut and bolt job as it was in bits and and all the small parts are missing .

I have obtained a couple of Robb Nortier rebuilt notes and these are fantastic if you have a total basket case as it's step by step instructions.

On Robbs front mudgaurd notes it shows a spacer between the girder and mudgaurd ( 66-6557 front mudgaurd distance piece ) , on looking at pictures some bikes have them and some dont anyone shed light on this do we need them or is it down to the size of the stays.

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Re: Spacer front mudgaurd

M20 forks were altered in length by 1/2"...The extra length was from the bottom yoke downwards, so it's the lower legs that are different...If you have the 'short' version you won't need the spacer...If you have the longer version you will, to keep the relationship between the tyre and the mudguard correct and to maintain the position of the stays in relation to the tapped holes that they are attached to....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

To add to Ian's post. Measure from the wheel spindle center to the damper spindle center:-

Short forks = 16 5/8"
Long forks = 17 1/8"

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Great thank you for clearing that up for me .

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Hi Chris, Ron and Ian,

Many many thanks for all the comments and corrections in the forks.
These "little" details would be lost if not for your knowledge and
wisdom being recorded.

I welcome all these constructive comments as the history and bikes
deserve as close to 100% accuracy as we can get.

My gratitude also extends to Henk Joore who has given me his permission
to use the Forum as a source of information.

Cheers all!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

At risk of starting a battle (LOL) I'm taking a survey of these forks. Look closely at the fotos. There are both the long and short.
NOW, take a look at the mudguard anchor of each. They appear to be different lengths.

So, please take a moment, measure what you have and post here.

Many thanks!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I have two sets of forks, both long type. Both mudguard anchors measure 1 5/8". My frame is WM2041037 built in early 1941. It probably started out with short forks. Judging from the unpainted metal, the current forks are a later addition to the frame. I can't remember when the long forks were fitted but someone here will. The spacer for the long forks seems to be little understood. I'm looking for a spare & haven't been able to find one locally. The threads on either end of the spacer are identical but if I were to have one made I might have a slightly longer thread on the underside to secure the mudguard. There's plenty of clearance for a 19" tyre.

I did some research on this with Henk some years ago. The order for the amendment to the forks was written up for April 12th 1941 and the change took place at some point during contract C7287 after C4300302. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi bob
I have that distance piece & the small dished washer which fits topside
Both are nos - very clean
Drop me a line if you are still looking for them
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John
email sent.