Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless Rebuild C-number

Hi all,

I've started restoring my Matchless. Basically, it's a 1940 G3 frame, engine and gearbox with a wartime G3L's front fork,fenders, pillion and panniers.
Since it's a mix of parts, it would be too costly to restore it as a G3. So i'm restoring it as is.
It might be fitting to give the bike a Rebuild census number. Where these C-numbers allocated per Brand or at random?
Would a wartime rebuild bike have the same brass rebuild plate as a post-war rebuild?

thanks,

Niek

email (option): niek.baecke@telenet.be

Re: Matchless Rebuild C-number

Hello Niek,

There was a block from 1 400 000 onwards that was reserved for reconditioned motorcycles (C prefix). There were similar blocks for reconditioned cars (1 500 000 onwards, M prefix), trucks and lorries (1 600 000 and 1 700 000 onwards). But there were no numbers higher than 1 800 000 in this series. But for as far as I know, there were no blocks per make within these "rebuilt" census numbers.

The war time brass "Ministry of Supply" plates are smaller than the post war plates. Post war plates are also often in aluminium (1950's).

Regards,
Jan

war-time-civil-workshop-label-1
war-time-civil-workshop-label-5

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Many thanks Jan.

I don't suppose these plates are being reproduced?

The 'Rebuild' serials were presumably issued in blocks to the various workshops but it's difficult to detect a pattern. I have photos on file of the following :-

C1422077 - Norton
C1430550 - Ariel
C1440165 - BSA
C1442177 - Norton
C1445847 - Norton
C1441953 - BSA
C1461573 - BSA

There are numerous 'Rebuilt' serials listed in the post-war Key Cards but it would be a major job to classify them. I have extracted the information for one particular Norton contract and the numbers quoted run from C1401546 to C1467636.

Have you asked Lex Schmidt if your frame appears in the 'Key Cards' ? He may in any case be able to give you an idea of the range applying to Matchlesses.

Yes, send me the framenumber, and I can supply the C number, shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,

Lex

(replace the ** with ik )

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Hi Lex,

I've sent you an email.

Regards,

Niek

Did I answer yet?? sorry, get 50-100 enquiries every couple of days, need a secretary!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Hi Lex,

No nothing yet. No worries, answer when you have time. We're only just starting the restoration.

Nieuwe pagina 1