Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spay gun nozzle query...

I'm interested to know what spray gun nozzle size forum members use for filler primer application...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Spay gun nozzle query...

Hi Ian, when I bought my Devilbiss spraygun years ago the nozzle recommended as a Google all rounder fir both priming and painting was stamped 186+. I'm struggling to find a cross reference on size, but I'm guessing 1.4mm? I've used a lot if filler primer over the years and it has served me well. Years ago a man I worked for used a small foam roller (no fibre or lint to contaminate the primer) to roll on on the filler primer. This gave a heavier coating in a shorter time and saved on masking and over spray when painting something like a quarter panel with lots of filler. Ultimately when not painting "wet on wet" whereby you're letting the primer dry and then sanding back to flatten the primer before adding the top coat, the rough surface from the rolling surface is irrelevant. All the best, Glenn

email (option): Glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Both my Devilbiss guns have No30 on the front of the nozzles. I use these guns for both high build primer and top coat. I'll take the nozzels off later and see what is on the tip. Got to take Janet for her jab soon. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I've just cleaned my regular gun as I've been spraying my Talflow filter with red oxide primer. The tip is 1.8. My other spare gun has only a 1.2 tip but I haven't much experience with that gun. I might give it a go on the Talflow. Ron

Thanks for the replies...My old Devilbiss gun was fitted with a 1.4mm nozzle and I always had problems with filler primer.. The 'filler' part didn't apply by the time I'd thinned it enough to be able to spray well...Filler primer (synthetic) should only be thinned by 10% according to the manufacturer....

I recently bought a new Devilbiss gun and took the 1.8mm nozzle option for that reason...I'll be having a go with that shortly and the first job is priming....Saying that I haven't checked the air cap or needle in either gun so I don't know what's fitted....However, both retain their original factory spec. so I would imagine have the correct combination of parts for general work....

My old gun has done a lot of work and is not performing so well these days...Any opinions on whether a new air cap, needle and nozzle will restore it's performance?...The only maintenance I've ever done is stripping and cleaning it after use...

I may just buy another new gun and keep it for top coat and lacquer application...(I do gloss paintwork as well as 'miitary' finishes)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Are the needles different? or does the taper accept whatever the tip orifice size is? The 1.2 tip looks tiny, but I might just try it on top coating the Talflow.

Ian I would think that the only important wearing parts are the nozzle-tip-needle. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1