Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Repro Lycett seat of execellent quality

Maybe a useful address for those who are looking for a very well made repro seat.
The one I bought is what I think a Lycett type but I am sure they can also make the WD type .
email address : anna.cingrosova@seznam.cz in Tjechie.
It comes complete with leather cover and seat springs that have a decent wire thickness for 283,- incl postage to the Netherlands.
Don't know what the costs will be if ordered from the UK, if at all possible.

As a beside; just heard from a fellow countryman that he payed 1 1/2 times the price for a seat + some nuts & bolts that he ordered from the UK.
The UK firm had to quote every single item by giving it a code number, those (as far as I know) are issued by the UK authorities.
All in all a big headache and absolutely no good for small businesses.

seat loosely placed on frame:
anna-seat-3
anna-seat-5
anna-seat-7
anna-seat-4

Re: Repro Lycett seat of execellent quality

Very nice looking seat, I will email Anna.

BTW Shipping from the uk is not a problem. A French customer just commented that it works out cheaper now.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

That's a very nice replica....From what I know of his repro products it's all to a high standard..On the subject of saddles does anyone know of a supplier for the saddle 'mattress' springs in the UK?.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

We use two local companies Ian. Between them can manufacture almost any spring, the down side is with little springs it works out to be most economic to buy them in the thousands.

Below a copy of the message from a UK supplier:

>> Glad to hear the seat arrived, sorry you had to pay such high import duties.
We have different codes being told to us daily, Customs require a Tariff number for each part we sent.

Nuts has a number
Bolts has a number
Mudguards has a number
Chainguard has a number
Spark plug has a number,
etc

So it is very hard for us at the moment,
Then we are being told just put one Tariff code and put (Parts + Accessories for 1949 vintage motorcycle parts) AND THIS Tariff code 8714100050
Fingers cross the other parcel arrives ok, it may still be returned back to us, as we have been informed the morning that the courier company who we sent the parcel with DPD are no longer shipping orders overseas to Europe or Rest of the world. <<

I'll just wait it out with ordering parts from te UK.
Hope that the company that I want parts from is still in business by then.:disappointed:

I bought one of these seats recently from Anna

It’s a High quality reproduction -

And it slipped through the net with no charges

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Is that a real leather cover ? It looks better than any vinyl that I've seen and the shape is good...It's not authentic for the rivet-counters of course and it will need covering when it rains.

That looks like a top quality saddle I've just looked at another "replica" saddle in my spares,there's no comparison in the workmanship.

Thanks Ron...That may do it, I just have to work out the lengths I need..I see the Czech saddle has the correct 'captive ends' on the long springs, another plus....Ian

Vincient.
Nice looking saddle.
Just a thought on mounting
Bend the front mounting lugs out just far enough to take a thrust washer between them and the frame lug.
Drill out the mounting lug in the frame to take a thin steel bush that is a tight fit between the front mounting lugs on the seat.
For my M20 I made a pair of top hat bushes then trimmed them so the top hats had about .002" clearance on the frame lug when clamped into it
Thus the saddle now swings with the bush so there is no wear in the saddle mount only in the replacable bushes less if you remember to grease them.

I had to do something as my frame lug was worn oval at both ends so the saddle could swing near 30 deg left right.
Jelly is for eating, not riding on .

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks Trevor, good tip !

This Anna's offering for the M20 seat. On ebay at the moment.

And you can buy the Bungees from them, as a kit form with the hook crimped on one end only, so that you can determine your own tension as I did on my G3. Ron

DSCF3470

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

What did you do about the cover Ron?

Looking at these pictures I think it's a lot off work to make them - especialy straight (!)

MARK COOK
What did you do about the cover Ron?
The cover is one of a small batch I got made by R K Leightons. I'm not that enamored with it. The bloke I've used in the past did a perfect job. but he seems to have gone off his chump....again, and I've never found anyone to match him. Ron

DSCF3162

Yes, I agree, I was very underwhelmed with the covers I had made by Leightons...It's difficult to find a tradesman who is actually fully skilled in the upholsterer game and can turn out a top quality saddle cover. The same cannot be said for dual seats etc...I've recently had some really nice ones done. I should note here I'm more than happy to pay for a good job as well....I've tried a few who talked a good job but ultimately couldn't deliver..

The same situation applies to signwriters I've found..Another trade that's dying out gradually...

The cover on the Czech saddle looks pretty good..Maybe it would be worth talking about commissioning a batch in a suitable vinyl...One problem though is which saddle cover to do...All the major makes have slightly different frames...and you'd want a matching pillion cover as well in some cases!!...Ian

I think it's best that you find someone in the UK as the guy who was making the cover for me on Anna's saddle is not making them anymore as he has changed job recently.

I put Vanner & Prest 'Neatsfoot Compound' on the cover, stuff thats been used for horses saddles etc.

Neatsfoot-Compound

Good old Neatsfoot oil,

Makes me think that maybe we should be looking at the horse world for a good saddler?

On that subject and on recommendation from a friend I gave the saddle from my 1939 Autocycle to a proper horse saddler. I provided some material which he didn't use as, unbelievably he had some correct Rexene.....BRILIANT! 6-7 months later when I enquired about another saddle to be covered, I was informed that he'd had a heart attack and given up all together.....Bugger! Ron

James-117

Not saddles but if anyone wants a dual seat or similar recovered I'd definitely recommend these people...Top quality work in my experience...Saddlecraft 01914556262....Ian

Leighton's seem to do a nice job of duel seats too. Why is it such a struggle to get a nice saddle cover made? The cheap Indian covers are formed quite nicely, but they just fall apart at the drop of a hat.

These are the saddle covers made for my W/NG by the guy who is on his forth nervous breakdown. No one else will even attempt the hump on the pillion saddle.....All I hear is "Sorry our machines can't cope" Ron

DSCF3488

Yes, I used Andy a long time back after being put onto him by someone who used to make fabricated parts for me... He used to make pannier bags and Y strap sets for me as well as saddle covers...Without doubt his saddle covers were the best I've ever had by a wide margin...It's such a shame he doesn't seem to be able to cope with the stresses of life....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1