Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buying goods from outside UK

Hi

I am posting this for information primarily for those of us in the UK and not wanting to start dicussion on the "B" word which has been spoken enough of in recent times

I recently had this attached to a parcel I retrieved from the local Royal Mail sorting office

It notified me of charges which required payment before release

VAT is applied to "gifts" over £35, but applied if bought/sold
VAT is applied to all goods over £35
VAT & Duty, rate dependent of type of goods or classification is payable on all goods over £135
This also attracts a handling charge - in this case £8 by Royal Mail for handling goods
on this occasion I paid VAT and Handling charge -

If you are sending abroad, the CN22 customs declaration form is now required on all mail leaving UK - will cover goods to the value of £270
For goods over £270 the Customs declaration form CN23
Parcel force Worldwide services require use of form CP72

Just watch the valuation - if its over £135 you pay VAT, Duty and if it gets intercepted, Handling charges too - I have often bought from outside UK and now will very carefully consider anything I buy with these charges in mind

As I mentioned, for information only - not a springboard for political discussion - please !!

Br
JO'B
IMG-1345

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Buying goods from outside UK

Yes John. I downloaded this before receiving a parcel from a Dutch forum member. It's far better to classify it as a commercial purchase than a gift. Ron

Limits for Customs Duty and Import VAT
The limits for Customs Duty and Import VAT are:
• commercial consignments (goods you’ve purchased) of £135 or less are free from Customs Duty and not subject to Import VAT - this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters as these items are excluded from the relief of Customs Duty and VAT at import is payable
• commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of Import VAT
• if you’re sent a gift with a value of £39 or less, which complies with the rules shown in section 2.4, it will be free from Customs Duty and Import VAT (gifts of alcohol and tobacco are subject to the limits shown in section 2.5 and gifts of perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits in section 2.6)
• Customs Duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Because nothing is made in the UK any more they are taxing everything that comes into the country to stimulate loacl retail & manufacturing.
Several other suppliers will no longer ship orders for less than £ 135 because they are responsible for adding VAT then remitting it to the UK tax man , along with several kilogrames of paper work .
So don't be surprised when you start seeing minimum invoice amounts popping up all over the place.
In OZ we did deals with Ammozone , Evilpay & Play pal who all add GST at their end then remitt ( if you believe in fairy tals ) all of it to the OZ government on a quarterly basis.
At this point in time the credit cards told the Government where they could go if they expected the credit cards to do the same, but it will happen eventually as we go more on line.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Because nothing is made in the UK any more.

Are you sure ?

I've spent all this week making BSA parts....:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

With annual output of £192 billion the UK remains the ninth largest manufacturing nation in the world. We just get on with it,busy making a living and not shouting about it.

"Because nothing is made in the UK any more they are taxing everything that comes into the country to stimulate local retail & manufacturing. "

Some aussies just love to sneer and put down this country don't they?

a bit rich coming from a country reliant on the worlds top producer of virus to export its minerals to.

not all aussies, just a few flyblown ones.

I'm trying to think, what do the Aussies manufacture?

Gentleman : STOP

No, don't stop now!, for years and years now, when I send something to the US, I fill in "returned US goods" then no taxes apply, think about it!

Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Lex
No, don\'t stop now!, for years and years now, when I send something to the US, I fill in \"returned US goods\" then no taxes apply, think about it!

Cheers, Lex
Clever!

Nieuwe pagina 1