Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cylinder Sleeve

I did a couple of searches and found nothing.
What is the process to replace a WM20 cylinder sleeve. I am having trouble with finding quality over sized piston. Not sure if I need a 40 or 60 over.
By replacing the sleeve I can go back to standard size and hopefully NOS.
Thanks

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Re: Cylinder Sleeve

There are various ways here. But I'd say, a hydraulic press would be the best idea.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fitting+a+side+valve+cylinder+sleeve

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron,
That link takes me to a bunch of YouTube sites regarding cylinder liner replacement.
I was hoping something specific for WM20. Are liners ready to go in the bore or does the bore need to be sized for new liner OD. Just trying to figure if it is something I can do or does it need to go a machine shop. I know the new liner will need to be bored and or honed for the NOS position.
However it looks fairly easy. I have replaced a number of cutlass bearing on inboard engine shafts.
Thanks

I'm sure the liners are machined to be a press fit in the cylinder. Then the ID is dealt with. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Normally the cylinder is bored to take the outside dia of liner which is then pressed in.

Here is a picture of one being fitted.

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/10295245_699697653422542_4372228551792243832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=4gIes_xzpj4AX-VrOsC&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&oh=b3bd5e3bae0788164d162ad772e602c6&oe=601EF241

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Note the dimensions of the 'scoops' that are ground into the liner to give conrod clearance before removing the old liner...These will have to be ground in again after the new liner is fitted but before it is bored to finished size...

After removing the old liner check the size of the barrel and the O.D of the new liner carefully before fitting it...There should be a .002"-.0035" interference fit between the new liner and the barrel...

You will need access to a press with at least a 7 ton capacity to fit the new liner...The force required depending on the fit should be in the 5-7ton range....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Wouldn't is be easier to find another cilinder ?

Mark Cook
Here is a picture of one being fitted.

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/10295245_699697653422542_4372228551792243832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=4gIes_xzpj4AX-VrOsC&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&oh=b3bd5e3bae0788164d162ad772e602c6&oe=601EF241

Barrel looks familiar Mark..

Did I make the liner or did you supply it Ian?

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

You haven't made or fitted a liner for me Mark...Ian

Mark Cook
Did I make the liner or did you supply it Ian?
Apologies for the confusion Ian (Wright).. I can't remember Mark to be honest.

There's too many Ians on this thread...Common as muck...:laughing: ...Ian

:laughing:

Thanks guys for all the info. I was hoping for a stick the cylinder in the oven and the sleeve in the freezer or dry ice and then tap it home with a block of wood.
Boy do I have a lot to learn.
I think I am back to figuring out how much I need to have removed to get past the gouged sections and then find a piston and rings.
Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Nieuwe pagina 1