Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pistons JP v GPM

I don't expect you know much about us Ian, (Performance Engineering Services) (new website under construction)
We make all sorts of engine and gearbox components.
Most stuff is made is house, but some is subbed out as long as quality and price are maintained.
We don't charge much for a custom piston design and that's a one off price. Repeat orders don't incur that cost.
There are lots of piston manufacturers now, all with the same kit. It's just about how fussy and honest they are.
They will design an manufacture any piston for you, but they are generally horrible as they don't know about engines let alone specific models. Hence we design our own.
Rings are harder as there are few good manufacturers.
The price I quoted was based on us commissioning four pistons of one size. There are some price breaks but not much.
I have another company that would be better price once you get over 50 pistons.
Over 100 and I'd be looking at having tooling made and going back to a cast piston, but with modern techniques.

I originally went down the uk route and wasn't happy. In fact they stole my piston design and still sell it.
A similar thing happened with camshafts. They changed my spec on materials, and I ended up rebuild engines for free after the cams destroyed them. They now brag about using my specifications for material and treatments.
We're in the slow process of tooling up for camshaft manufacture, hoping to go live this year.

There are risks in making parts.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

A motorcycle shop in Melbourne Australia is currently selling on Ebay original ex army pistons complete 20 thou oversize for $145. Seeing that Ebay charge to sell I would say you could buy cheaper direct off him. Ebay name is 1150brough He has lots of ex army parts.

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

Hi Mark...I am aware of your business...I have looked at your website previously....Are you linked in some way to CCM?..or is it just that you make CCM parts?...

I'm primarily into the heavyweight BSA singles and am usually after upgraded parts for those..I'm now retired but have a few projects on the go..I ran a business servicing those models for 18 years or so after I left the engineering game, mainly engine and gearbox refurbishment and quite a bit of tuning...I've had many parts manufactured over the years and it can be an unforgiving task...On the other hand it's good to walk round an event and see bikes that have your parts fitted..

I recently had a one off forged piston made by CP Pistons and it was pretty expensive...I've used JE Pistons most for batch work, usually 10-20 units....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Absolutely nothing to do with any of the clews family.
In my stupidity I adopted looking after the 70's bikes and proving they could have been good.
One of the many downsides is that people thought I did nothing else. Due to a lack of respect for what I was doing I'm dropping that work unless commercially viable.

The moto of the company was "if you think it doesn't exist, it's because you never asked us to make it"

I started looking at a M20 project over 15 years ago, and I should have bought one when the prices were better. It seems now I'm a bit late to the party.
It looks like all of the tin ware will be Indian. I think the forks will come that way too. I just hope they will be better than claimed.
As usual washers, brackets and fasteners seem to be in short supply. So if I can't find any I'll make them. If I make one, they'll be half a dozen or so. If they sell I'll make more. Most of the bits we make stared that way. If someone want's to commission something it will be there's and we'll respect that.

Sorry to the original poster for taking this off topic.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1