Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ebay 1943 Matchless G3L listing query?

Hi Guys,

1943 Matchless listed shows frame with Suspension to rear end ????????

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1943-Matchless-G3L-Motorcycle-350cc/224266899048

Not introduced until 1949 and Jampots 1951 !

Have I missed something here????

Cheers,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

Re: Ebay 1943 Matchless G3L listing query?

I think the vendors memory is playing tricks on him...I've had people tell me they used to have a 750cc BSA Golden Flash etc. etc. ...Maybe it's was an ex. Ministry or NFS bike from the fifties..?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A friend of mine has a 1942/3 ex RN Aerial W/NG that's been fitted with a swinging arm. Unfortunately he wont sell it to me so that I can put it back as it was. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I queried it with the seller, this is his detailed reply. Ron
Hi,
Further to your enquiry, the following numbers are from the V5, and also on the machine (l have omitted the last two digits)

The engine number begins 607 - -
The frame number begins 674 - -
The “springer” back end dates from about 1951 ish.
The “jampots” were different as was the frame after 1957
The front downtube has no sidecar lug.
The engine is from a batch numbered 56012 to 63011 dating from 1/6/1942
The contract number was C14499
The frame is from a batch numbered 64070 to 72069 dating from 20/9/1943
Contract number S.4555
I don’t know when the rear end was changed, however it seems to predate its 1960 registration., which is the year the last of them were sold by the War Department

Iwhilst I am happy to provide you with any information l can, it would obviously be better for you, if you are able to view this unusual, interesting and historic machine.

By the way, l am including an extra CP gearbox for spares, plus the original saddle.

It is with great regret that l am selling this last (and favourite) of my motorcycle collection, due to old age and ill health.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Del

Hi,

When I asked to send photo's of the frame number he replied with a similar story and text but also added something about it being cloned !!!.
I'm assuming if he supplied the actual number.
Ummmm ?
what a load of Trash !
Possibly newer frame re-stamped.

cheers

zoom in on the frame number it ends with 84, front frame doesn’t look like a 43 as the side stand lug is to far forward, nothing looks early on the bike, I’ve not checked the numbers but maybe has a 43 engine as the magneto is behind the engine

Barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

It didn't sell...Then 'bitzas' frequently don't sell if it's too much work to turn them back into what they're supposed to be or they haven't been done well enough and are 'different' enough to satisfy someones desire for a 'special'...

Most of them don't really make anyone happy and keen to own them in the current market where it isn't just about having something to ride...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I'm with Barry. I can't vouch for the engine, but nothing else I see is remotely WW2. Ron

I agree Ron,

I'm pleased it's still his.

He was so shady with me and saying:
The advert. Was placed on our behalf by our son ( who Is a
Home Office fraud officer, ) and he warned us, owing to my experience not to give information which might enable cloning to take place.

Regards,
Paul

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never understood those who hide their number plates at shows and adverts. The whole World can see it when you're on the road.

Who is going to drive more than 15-20 miles to view a vehicle without proof of it's numbers first? Ron

Exactly Ron.

He asked where I was in the country,
Told him and he said I can understand why you want to check before travelling.
I'll get some photo to you as ebay has told me what to do.... I'm still waiting......LOL !

Who cares......

Cheers Paul

Nieuwe pagina 1