Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
India made quality question

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with India made clutch sleeves. Mine is pretty beat. I wonder if they got the shaft taper right and key placement?

How close do the come with things like fenders and tool boxes. My front fender looks like it was shot and run over by a tank. I need handle bar, seat, knob and star for the girder front end. I am developing a very long list.

I have been in touch with Robb Nortier about spares he may have here in the US.

I am not trying for a museum quality resto, just a good runner that I can use in WWII re-enacting. I know it is a matching number bike. I saved it from the bike breakers, the next owner can do the museum level restoration.
Thanks
Charlie

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Re: India made quality question

IMO buying Indian after market products is a gamble in most cases...Certain replica BSA petrol tanks are OK I've found and there are other individual items that are good, 8" replica Lucas headlamps for example and the M20 sump plates. However, the majority of their parts are of poor quality and indeterminate specification and accuracy...Great examples of that are badly fitting mudguards, some really bad petrol tanks, the B/M Series oil pump drive shafts and girder fork sets to name but a few...

Personally I've got little inclination to fit any stressed engine/gearbox component from that part of the world...There must be multiple Indian manufacturers servicing the market and really it's a lottery trying to 'sort out the wheat from the chaff'...It's just, perhaps, a question of 'Do you feel lucky?' as Clint would say...:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian for you honest opinion. I suspected issues, but how do the mess up mudguards? My clutch sleeve is still serviceable so will look elsewhere. China can make absolute junk and then they can made high quality precision stuff. Sounds like India has a way to go. It will be interesting to see how the UK assembled BSA’s fair. Quality parts or junk!

I think some modern main stream Indian manufacture from the larger companies is OK personally...The problems arise with the small after market manufacturers, some of whom are using 'hand manufacture' techniques that went out with the Ark and who also have quality control, heat treatment and basic material specification issues to one degree or another...

Mudguards? Brackets and holes in the wrong places, general inaccuracies of the form and very frequently, the wrong radii...The best, but most expensive, replica mudguards are made in Australia...Unfortunately it's also about as far away as you can get without taking off in a rocket so shipping for items of that size is costly as well..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I concur with Ian re the quality being an absolute gamble, personally, I would stay away from anything Indian made that should be manufactured to critical tolerances, or with decent metallurgy- I’ve seen rear drums that have integral sprockets which run eccentric to the drum, miss-aligned bolt holes and also a batch of steel clutch plates which were far from flat and clearly made of mild steel.

I have had best success with carefully trawling eBay for a seller with only/mostly good feedback, this is also potentially fraught as some sellers who rack up negative reviews over time merely start a new account.

I’ve bought a set of fenders which were fine, fine and far from perfect- but still a lot better than something 70 years older and full of rust. I have also bought a Lycette replica seat which was great.

Thanks Nick for letting me know what works. I do need a seat. My front fender is really beat. It has had several patches welded over the rusted through sections.
Thanks again

Nieuwe pagina 1