Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brass combination levers

Hello Alistair, good to hear from you. I can't think of any WD bike that used the 7/8" combination levers. In fact from memory, it was only Matchless G3 (Bowden) and Early Norton Big4 (Doherty) that fitted combination levers and these were 1". However early Matchless G3L used 7/8" Bowden combination levers with the strange shape pressed steel blades (see pic). Regards Ron

Bowden16

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron,
Just getting round to putting the 1in bars I bought off you onto my G3🙈

The 7/8 ones on now are Bowden but all brass.

Hope you are keeping well.

Cheers,
Alistair

email (option): arenvoize272@gmail.com

Alistair, from memory, the 7/8 and 1" Bowden controls are the same castings? Therefore your 7/8" controls could be bored out. It's only a 1/16" cut. Have a look to see if there's enough material. Ron
Bowden13

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That's a good idea Ron!

Hello Ron

A small correction regarding the use of combination levers.

All Norton's used combination levers prior to late 1939. Both WD16H/Big4 and civilian.
Would have been 7/8 inch for civilian machines from 1937 and later. 1" for all military machines and civilian prior to 1937.
Doherty appears to be standard in prewar spares lists 1936 onwards. Still missing a civilian 1935 spares list so if anybody can help me with a copy I would be pleased.

The vulnerability of combination levers in relation to military use will have been the reason to revert to separate levers lateron.
Replacing 2 controls while only one is damaged is not economic.

Cheers

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1