Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sprung Matchless prototype

There is a picture of the same or a similar machine in O&M with an AJS forward magneto engine fitted?

Rob

PS Edition one page 84, two page 100 but its not in the latest edition.

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Who told Captain Mainwaring he could come?....:laughing:..Shouldn't he be commanding at the Novelty Rock Emporium?..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rob Miller
There is a picture of the same or a similar machine in O&M with an AJS forward magneto engine fitted?

Rob

PS Edition one page 84, two page 100 but its not in the latest edition.
Which edition/page Rob? Someone nicked my first edition but now I only use edition 3. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, I added that in my "PS", any edition except yours.

Rob

Thanks Rob, couldn't see it for looking in my edition 2. Ron:+1:

The old boy sucking his pipe is saying to the army lads "Rear springing eh, it'll never catch on", while Mannering thinks, "Stupid boy". It's a very interesting photo though, I hadn't noticed the suspension until it was mentioned here.

The angle looks all wrong to me, how much movement would there be in the rear shocks?

Rob

['The angle looks all wrong to me, how much movement would there be in the rear shocks?..]

It doesn't look ideal but Matchless did have to build into the design the option for another three versions and to find a way of making the shock absorbers harder to remove and replace...:laughing: ....Ian

Agree funny angle of the shocker, cannot be too much movement or it would hit the tool box. Mannering has got pushed to the back agin, next thing he will be tripping over that prop dog:joy:

rear-shocks

ajs

Note the pillion footrests are mounted on the swinging arm and the unusual drivers saddle rear support which appears to be unsprung. The Matchless engine version seems to have the cast iron mag chain cover. Did they also use cast iron outer gearbox covers or is it just alloy painted green. The rear suspension units appear to have some external similarities to the telescopic forks. Surprised no-one has opted to build a replica

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

If it is the same machine in both pictures the smaller tool box could be because the rear shock was hitting the deeper one and may indicate more suspension travel than I thought?

And I assume there is a sprung plunger under the rear saddle support?

Rob

At least with the AJ engine, you stand half a chance at getting to the dynamo. Ron

They might have thought that with rear suspension a sprung saddle was no longer needed...Ian

Ian Wright
They might have thought that with rear suspension a sprung saddle was no longer needed...Ian
Why is there a VELOCETTE Exhaust?

the bike with the AJS engine m, what type of ajs engine is that, it has a different barrel and rocker cover set up than the topical G3L,
also note the horn behind the engine and regulator box in front of the carb. the suspension units look like a cut down version of the front forks, wonder if they still have the same spring/damper and oil set up, note oil drain screws.

Barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

It's quoted as a probable 500cc in O&M. The horn position is typical for AJS. Ron
AJ-2
AJS-1939-350cc

That head is interesting, seems as if the whole engine was built out of odds and ends.

It is BS that it signifies a 500cc, it shares feature with the G90 prewar head but looks to me to be offthe hicam Sunbeams made late 30s when Sunbeam owned by Matchless, who also did a 250 and 350 version. B series.

Nieuwe pagina 1