Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New to me 42/43 WM20

Oh thats great Ron. What did that illustration come from ? The parts book I downloaded does not have drawings like that... I will reach out to Keith .

G'day Wade and welcome. Not sure why your Postimage photos are not displaying? Clicking on a link takes me to the Postimage sign up page.

Hi Wade
why not put the pictures upon your website and link to that? You could keep us up to date on your progress with the bike then as well.

cheers
Pete

The best thing is to start here on the forum with the frame and engine number...That will determine the year of manufacture and contract that the bike was built under...From there a specification can be determined and you can then deduce what you have and haven't got...

One clear photo of each side of the bike will serve for an initial assessment of its condition etc...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It's the instructions for retro fitting the pannier and pillion kit. Here's the other side. Ron
Scan-141116-0001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The carburetter will be fine if the bowl is not on an angle. Stand back from the bike and look and see that the bowl is vertical. If it is not vertical you will have small problems on going around bends as it will starve slightly on one type of bend and be a bit rich on the opposite bends. Had a guy ride a bike for 6 or so years with the wrong angled bowl and wondered why it hesitated on bends but went great on straight roads.

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

looking at the pictures this bowl looks OK

Took some more detailed photos to see what else I need and to be sure I understand things

I need a rear seat but this bracket looks different then what I see on other WM20s ... Are there multiple versions ? Are my brackets wrong?

IMG-0014

IMG-0015

IMG-7382

Here is my tool box .... The paint of my tool box and headlight look shinier and different then the rest of the bike... Wonder if they are repops or just replaced?

And should this screw knob just come off when its undone or should there be a retainer of some kind?

IMG-0026

IMG-0027

Looks like I will need a wiring harness. No wiring going to the headlight or to the rear light at all.... Is there a good source or should I just make my own?

IMG-0061

IMG-0063

Along with the seat question above the rear of the bike offers a few mysteries ....

1) This is the way I picked up the bike ... The nuts are barely on ... Wonder how many fell off in transport.... Maybe they are mismatched thread ... Will investigate further as I delve into this project.

2) The loose hex spacers on the panniers are apparently correct but again just hanging there.... Cant believe they didnt fall off... I have two . how many should be there?

3) My pannier on one side has rusted away at the top . I guess that will be a welding repair.

4) I suppose my tail light is a repop since the wiring looks new.

IMG-0031

IMG-0032

IMG-0064

IMG-0034

IMG-0035

IMG-0036

IMG-0037

IMG-0039

IMG-0040

IMG-0044

IMG-0045

IMG-0046

IMG-0047

5) And what bodge has been done to my rear mudguard? I have another that came with the bike but not an extra "wing " or what ever the part is called that removes for wheel removal. Does that piece look butchered?

IMG-0065

IMG-0066

6) Lastly What is the nipple looking thing under the passenger footpeg?

IMG-0048

Here is my Carb... It is neither one of the numbers mentioned above ... Anyone know what it is for... I should probably look for the right one ...

IMG-0020

IMG-0021

IMG-0023

IMG-0025

IMG-0029

IMG-0067

Ive order Canvas grips . Will they fit this throttle? The pictures of original ones looks the same without the chrome... Are they the same otherwise though?

IMG-0030

Your carb is a 276, so providing the body is not too worn? can easily be reconfigured by ordering the correct new parts from Amal/ Surrey Cycles or Hitchcocks. The top is wrong as the choke/air is operated by cable at the handlebar. The (long) bottom nut is wrong and the float bowl is angled and should be straight. You can of course buy a complete new carb from one of the three firms mentioned (I much prefer the service from Hitchcocks).
Carb spec is 276C/1B

Your twistgrip looks like a modern Doherty (which I wouldn't want to use) and should be a period Amal. Ron

M20-056
Scan-20201130

Santa (me) was good to me this christmas.

Fresh in from the UK... Some NOS and some not so NOS... Rebuilt speedo and drive.

Of course the levers werent what I was expecting... Two clutch levers ... Now I have three since one came on the handle bars too.... The parts from the UK arrived in a week but the handle bars from WI took 2 months via the post office.... But I am happy with everything and the UK guy said he will find me a brake lever

IMG-0366

IMG-0368

IMG-0743

IMG-0744

IMG-0745

IMG-0746

IMG-0747

IMG-0748

IMG-0749

IMG-0750

Nice seat cover for a seat that I dont have yet
IMG-0751

Got an extra tool roll for my B33 project as well .
IMG-0752

IMG-0753

IMG-0754

IMG-0755

IMG-0756

IMG-0758

IMG-0759

IMG-0760

IMG-0761

IMG-0762

IMG-0763

IMG-0764

IMG-0765

IMG-0766

IMG-0767

IMG-0768

IMG-0769

IMG-0770

IMG-0771

email (option): wadeschields@gmail.com

Looks like you've been doing some shopping with Stuart.

Just so you know, the wartime clutch and brake levers are the same part number, so one is always upside down. Probably the same with the post war levers, but I don't have parts books for those.

Oh and pictures of groups of parts will save a logjam:confused: Ron

Scan-20200523

Ron Pier
Looks like you've been doing some shopping with Stuart.

Just so you know, the wartime clutch and brake levers are the same part number, so one is always upside down. Probably the same with the post war levers, but I don't have parts books for those.

Oh and pictures of groups of parts will save a logjam:confused: Ron

Oh thats interesting !! I had planned on using the one upside down till I got the right one but maybe it is the right one... The ones I got are supposed to be post war but what the difference between war and post war ?

I will do fewer photos next time... Sorry I didnt edit them down... Hurrying before the wife kicks me off of the computer ..

Does my new headlight look right... Did they make repops of these or could this one be original?

Some quite good repro WD headlamps are coming from India and usually in that strange green colour. The inside bulb holder and reflector will give it away.

The standardized Amal levers are solid, not the pressed steel type you have. Here are what they look like. Ron

DSCF1554

Ok that carb stamped 276FG/1AT has a 7degree bowl as I suspected and was originally fitted to Triumph 1951-53 Thunderbird. I would buy a new 276C/1B as Ron suggested as the internal parts are probably all wrong such as needle jet, main jet and slide. As already pointed out bottom nut and choke are wrong. Bowl if stamped 1AT on the arm connecting to the carb body is also wrong.

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

The correct pillion saddle would be an "Acumen" Long or short version. You would be best to speak to Jan about these on wd.register@gmail.com
Which means the NOS cover you bought is wrong. Below is one of the long versions. The nipple that you asked about by the foot rest is for the front loop of the rear stand spring. Ron
DSCF1439

M20-220

PS I think you might do better to start a fresh thread with individual questions and pictures to save trolling through this thread which might put others off. Ron

Thanks Ron .. I was thinking the same thing.

Nieuwe pagina 1