Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 533 BASE WK/SHOPS manual.

I will never grow tired of looking at that bike, Ron.

email (option): btcoop77069@aol.com

Ron, 61 cubic inches to the liter. Five hundred cc engines were 30.5, but usually called "30 inch." 250's were 15 inchers. The last Indian Chiefs were 80 inches, in a vain attempt to keep pace with the OHV Harleys.

Can't forget the derisive laughter I got at my local US hardware shop when I showed them a stripped bolt from my Honda 90 for a replacement. "Ha Ha, that's METRIC! Good luck, Kid!" r

Can your 30 inch Indian keep pace with a WM20?

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Quote"Can your 30 inch Indian keep pace with a WM20?" Jeff

I doubt a standard 741 can keep up with a standard M20. Hampered of course by the foot clutch and 3 speed hand change box......It's why I built that special.

However I've got two mates who are bloody good riders on their big bore 741's (600cc) and they give me a run for my money on my 600cc WD M20. My BSA/Indian special will piss all over them.....Except for the fact that I usually chicken out before they do.:persevere:

Here's the other side Bruce. Predominantly it's BSA and Indian with a few other makes thrown in:relaxed: Ron
Indian-S-250

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

And a Matchless chainguard!!

Anyway to get back to the manual, my 640 has the same in the manual and parts list, Model 45 640B, so 45 cubic inch. (750cc)

And Ron, you once told me the 6 is the month it was designed and 40 the year, so 340 March 1940, 741 July 1941, etc. etc.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Yes I always thought that about the Month Lex. But you told me it was a model number????? But a model 3 or 6 or 7 doesn't make any sense?

Ron

Yes, that little Indian is gem.

I bought a running wreck of a 1946 Indian Chief 74 when I was 18 and turned it out as a bobber, with a 21' front wheel, minimal mudguards, small seat on the frame. Had to sell it to finish my education, but rode it hard for 4 years. It backfired through the Linkert carb and caught my trousers on fire before I re-lapped the intake valves.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Hi Ron,can only find one other ref to 74 in the manual,its on the lube chart,533 BASE WK/SHOPS was in Abbassia which is a suburb of Cairo,did a google search on it,its a large barracks,British army left in 1947,there is a video on youtube.

Cheers Steve, but Jeff explained about the Cubic Inch rating that is a US thing and had me confused.

The illustrations seem to show the 340 outfit that were supplied to France (Engine/frame prefixed CAV) I restored one as a solo for a mate. This is one of the 300+ that were reallocated to UK after Paris fell.

Ron
DSCF1124

Thanks for that, Ron!

Bruce.

email (option): btcoop77069@aol.com

Nieuwe pagina 1