Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website photo

Can anyone tell me whether this picture is an original or just a very good living history group? There’s something about the Dingo and it’s crew that looks non-period, but I can’t put my finger on it. Perhaps they look too well fed and relaxed, plus I can’t make out the Dingo tail lights. They look light the post war type that are screw on glass lenses. I could of course be completely wrong, can anyone tell me either way?

Cheers,

Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Re: Website photo

Hi Tom,

The photo is taken in 2014 on the 30th corps trip.

Its me on the Wm20 😉

Nick

email (option): bsawm20@hotmail.com

Finally, we have a winner:relaxed:

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks for solving the mystery Nick, it was the M20 that made me think it was a period picture.You pulled off the look very well!

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Indeed the people look relaxed and well fed.
On the other hand, is that a gun hanging over your shoulder...?
If so, that looks period :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This photo appeared a while back and I never even considered it might not be a period shot, everything looks spot on to my untutored eye. On close inspection I suppose the Dingo looks a bit clean and new, especially the tyres, but it could have been a newly issued vehicle. Well done to all those involved.

That certainly is a great picture...8 Corps were on Market Garden as well....I particularly like the rope around the pannier frames...Exactly the sort of thing you see in period photos and the unsurfaced road also adds to the period feel...Ian.

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

"On close inspection I suppose the Dingo looks a bit clean and new, especially the tyres"

Unless someone is now manufacturing Dingo tyres.....They are like Hen's teeth. Semi solid rubber and I don't know how you remove them from the wheels? There was a guy here in Poole (EGM I think) who had loads of Dingo spares and piles of rusting wheels laying outside in his yard. All gone now and replaced by a Lidl super market. :disappointed: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks everyone for the great comments.

It was such a good feeling to take the registration plate of sling the sten on my back and do a week tour.

@Ian before the tour we watched a lot of xxxcorps photo’s of how bikes where packed. All different offcourse, but ropes or trouser belts to hold the panniers in place kept coming back on the photo’s

Here are a few more photo’s of the same shoot. Note the Grave bridge in the background.

Fantastic photographs Nick! Almost indistinguishable from genuine war time pics. You fooled most of us! :+1: :+1: :+1:

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Again most convincing shots, even more so when the vehicles are in motion and raising some dust, the first pic with the Dingo, bren carrier and DR outrider is my favourite.

Tony, check your email, i have sent you one.

Cheers
Tim

As an ex-serviceman I didn't feel comfortable with that photo. A sergeant casually leaning with his legs crossed in an active service scenario? It looks slovenly and puts him at a disadvantage in an unexpected emergency. He's not alert to his surroundings.I'd be surprised if his seniors had tolerated it.

Perhaps nearing the end of WWII they may have got this casual but in the tiny amount of active service I experienced I never saw anyone being that careless.

Cheers,
Bob

email (option): bobmcgrath21@hotmail.com

Nick do you have any information on the "61" formation on the APC?

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Mark the 61 on a green square denotes an infantry battalion. I've marked my Universal Carrier as 43rd Wessex division. I believe this relates to the 4th Dorsetshire regiment. Maybe Rik can confirm? Ron
Carrier-001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Mark.

In this case it is Arm of service “61 on green” in combination with Guards Armored division.

61 on green is always infantry. In the case of Guards Armored it was

60 on green Rifle (infantry) brigade HQ.
Under HQ where 3 battalions with the following AOS:

61 senior battalion - 62 Infantry battalion 2 - 63 Junior battalion

And then 64 on black witch was the machine gun battalion.

This is how the late war AOS puzzle is build.

I hope that helps

Is case of Rons carrier the 61 on green in combination with the 43 Wessex. Was indeed the 4th Dorset regiment.

Thanks Nick, for some time I've been trying to work out where these pictures were taken. My first thought was Italy, the Greece and now Austria?
My reasoning and finally getting what I think some of my Dads services records is that he spent 7 weeks in Austria.
In the first picture you can see a "6" on the front mudguard. What could the other number be? Am I correct in thinking there can't be much choice? Other than 61st Lorried Infantry Brigade? 06-1945

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1