Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matching number WM20 Purchased

I just purchased a matching bike in the USA. It is BSA WM20.108521 is build under contract S5209. Henk did the research on the bike. It was listed as parts only. It is a little rough.
It is missing magdyno, controls, seats, rear pannier, carb. It has a very rusted gas tank and front fender.
I have not idea of its US history. The current owner picked it up in a larger old bike/junk buy. I am hoping to find out Who he purchased from. Maybe I can get some info, but it was an estate sale or clean out.
Engine is not stuck and turns over with compression.

I think I sent Henk some pictures maybe he will post them.

Still recovering from Covid, lungs are improving. I went outside for a 500 foot walk. Had to be on O2, but I felt good. The dog was happy for a little walk.
My wife has been Outstanding . After 51 years she still loves me. I am still banned from the shop. No fumes or grinding dust. She said I could polish some chrome in the garage when it warms up a little.

7 years ago this week I was in Wales and London as Hurricane Sandy tore through our home in Brick NJ. January of 2020 I finally got our occupancy permit. The good news is we raised the house 14 feet on a new block foundation. That gave me a 1600 square foot shop with high ceilings. In addition we have a two car garage. Cars sit in drive way, running motorcycles in the garage.

I will be bringing in another WM20 to help a guy out who got ripped off by a bike repair shop. They did nothing for the last five years. Long story. I hope to get it running. It was running before it went to the shop, but a bad mag. They say it was rebuild. We will see.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Re: Matching number WM20 Purchased

I hope you recover soon Charlie, and can get down into that fantastic sounding workshop. It sounds like you’ve been through the mill and had more than your share of bad luck. I hope it changes from here in and hope you enjoy the restoration of your new M20. There can’t be that many Brit bikes over there in the US?

Regards,

Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Thanks for the kind words.,
There seem to be a number of bikes here. It seems back in the 60’’s many were imported. They are scattered around. I belong to a WWII re-enacting group, First Army Recon Mechanized. We have many WWII vehicles. There are 4 Indians, 2 WLA’s, 1 Matchless and now my two BSA. We also have several captured German bikes.
I am enjoying my retirement, but the old age

Get well soon Charlie sounds like an awesome project to do when you are able :)

Sounds like your group has an ace selection of bikes.

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

Here the matching numbers BSA.

image1

image0

image2

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks Henk,

This is what Henk found out about this bike.

This BSA WM20.108521 is build under contract S5209 - 36 it left the factory in 1944, for this contract they used tank numbers from C5545518 up to C5557517 and this BSA had tank number C5549221 when it left the factory.

I have no US history and talking to the current owner the bike was purchased in a larger lot of engines and frames. They other stuff is from the 1960-1970’s mostly Triumph.

Now to start collecting the missing bits. The big purchase will be the magdyno and maybe a carb.

Does anyone know if these were under coated at the factory before paint. As you can see it has rust. As I clean the parts I want to primer coat in the right color for protection.

I am open to any advice.

Thanks again for the site and all help you offer.

Hi Charlie,

Hope that you are feeling better after the Covid? That's nice, I wished mine was a matching numbers.
I noticed a couple of things in the photo that Henk posted for you. She seems to have an early central speedo bracket, and i'm sure that the steering damper through the head stock had been delated by 1944.
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks for your input. I know almost nothing about the build details. With information for like yours my knowledge is growing.
Thanks again.
Charlie

Nieuwe pagina 1