Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amal screw sizes

Hi all,

I’m trying to find out the correct screw size and thread for the Amal 7/8” brake/clutch lever clamps, and also the throttle twist grip. I had to cut the screws on my levels and now need to drill out and re-tap them, but I can’t find any detail on the forum about the size and thread. Can anyone tell me? I’m assuming BA? As I’ve had to part drill them out I may need to go the next size up to ensure a secure thread.

Cheers,

Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Re: Amal screw sizes

Most are 1BA but you find people use 2BA and the thread will be slack. Try a 1BA tap down your hole first, i have also come across 3/16"BSW.

Tim W

Thanks Tim, I will get myself a 1 ba tap and some new bolts.

Cheers,

Tom

This was all gone through on here some time ago when Tom Steel was looking for lever screws.

I think Tom Steele was looking for Docherty screws. Are they the same as Amal ones?

I've found that sometimes the 1BA screws are to tight, so must be 3/16. But a 1BA tap through the thread opens it nicely. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Cheers Ron, I’ve bought some stainless 1ba screws with the correct head profile and a set of taps. So just got to get the old screws out cleanly now.

Regards,

Tom

In case anyone is looking for Amal screws, I have just bought a set of stainless steel 1 BA screws, with the correct head profile, from RGM Norton Ltd (www.RGMNorton.co.uk). A reasonable price and look great on my newly plated levers and throttle twist grip.

Nieuwe pagina 1