Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA early tool bag, is this the one ?

Very interesting Bastiaan, the Norton tool roll carrying tool bags which were around NOS a few years ago were definitely black and the materials were the opposite way around Rexine top, leather ends as opposed to the Leather top and Rexine ends on your bag.

nor1

It looks like this BSA tool bag was in use for quite a few years and we don't know if they were always identical in design and materials throughout, so your tool bag may not be early war military, it could just as easily be pre or even post war civilian, but its certainly the best information we have at the moment.

I have a piece of bandsman's leather apron left over from previous projects which has the lined pattern the same as 1939 pattern military equipment, the white coating comes off with the help of thinners and is a lovely brown underneath but I'm wondering if it may to too thick at 3mm?

Rob

bands

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The BSA tool bags were indeed in use for quite a few years, from early in the 1930's till late war. I think it is likely that my tool bag is pre war, as there were some BSA tools in it which were all pre war dated. I do think that the design of the toolbag remained the same throughout the years though.

The structure of your leather looks spot on, I will measure the thickness of my toolbag this evening and let you know. I have bought a vintage bag which is described in the Netherlands as 'doctors bag', it has the correct colour and structure of leather. I intend to use it as a donor for my BSA tool bag.

The rivets which attach the 2 leather straps to the main section are of the bifurcated type (or splitleg). These are available via ebay. Only have to source the 2 small buckle's for the straps.

Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

I have started to make an exact replica of the original toolbag. The thickness of the leather should be approx 1,5 mm. I have test fitted my toolbag in a toolbox and it fits perfect. Below a few photo's. First photo is of the original toolbag with the BSA tools which were with this bag when I bought it.

Regards,
Bastiaan

20201027-203113

IMG-20201028-WA0003

IMG-20201028-WA0006

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Sorry, might have been a bit harsh on the replica tool bag, but am a terrible rivet counter! I do have many original tool rolls and tools, so do have some experience.

Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Hi Ron,

Give Les a call, I got some original tools from him a couple? of years ago. He had the Hub box spanner, the long bar that goes through it and also has the end for doing the rear spocket nuts, and the cylinder head box spanner.Oh, and Henk made me a couple of screwdriver bits:grinning:
Cheers,
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks Dave. I'll ring Les before lockdown. I've managed to acquire the rear wheel nut spanner, the cylinder base nut socket and the little mag spanner.......I always said I'd never get into all this! But once you start you have to complete the kit:confused: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,
Any luck with Les? Haven't bought anything from him in a while.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1