Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Matchless G3 engine rebuild

I see your point FerG3, I haven’t worked out yet where I feel the compromise is between originality and usability. The engineer in me can’t resist tuning the engine to get the best out of it, just as many budding motorcyclists would have done with their mounts after the war. But the Historian in me wishes to keep the bike as original as possible. If I understand correctly, the plate was put in to compensate for the war departments poor quality/low octane fuel? Which is not an issue anymore.

It’s a balance, as subtle modifications make the vehicle more usable, and sometime safer to use. My 44 Willys Jeep is a veteran of the Rhine Crossing, having been used by 53rd Light Regt RA to tow a 25 Pdr gun. There’s lots of history there, but I’ve also fitted modern LED lights and indicators. It doesn’t necessarily sit well with the historian in me, but that’s why I o make modifications as subtle as hidden as possible and completely reversible.

The compression plate in the G3 is something I will think more about.

Cheers,

Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Tom I don't think the compression plate was ever fitted to a G3 as standard. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Happy days then. I take it then G3L engine was a de-tuned version of the G3, hence the smaller carb and lower compression ratio?

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Perzacly!! The plate is listed in the G3L spares lists only. I think some of the early WOG3's also had the pre war high lift cams fitted. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Agree - my G3WO did not have the plate AND this model was recognised as being much nippier than its successor. Alas, it was also about the same awkward lump to work on!

Nieuwe pagina 1