The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Valve Guide Tool

Thanks John.
I was wondering. The picture in the manual shows .350”. That equals 8.89mm. I was afraid the 9mm would be too big. Thanks for setting me straight.
I really appreciate you guys. I would have really struggled without all you assistance.

I have lots more questions, but will wait until I need the info.
I do not want to be a pest.
Thanks again

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

The size of a new valve stem should be .3475" -.3485" and stem to guide clearance should be .003" -.005"....

If you take the major stem size and combine it with the recommended clearance that gives a valve guide bore dimension of .3515" -.3535"...

If the minor stem dimension is used and the clearance is then applied a valve guide bore dimension of .3505" - .3525" is the result...

9mm is .3543"....

So, in all instances, 9mm is larger than the bore of a correctly sized valve guide that has been sized off a valve stem that falls within the correct tolerances.
The finished bore of the guide would be within the range .3505" -.3535", the exact size within those dimensions being dependant on where the stem and clearance dimensions fall within the defined tolerance ranges...

If the guide being removed was worn then a 9mm punch may well fit but it would not fit into a new guide, which itself would not be finally sized until after it has been fitted and should therefore have a bore diameter smaller than .3505", or at least .004" smaller than 9mm...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, the tool is actually 8,9 mm. As van be seen on eBay. I bought the same tool some years ago . IT is perfect for the job.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Thanks Ian,
Looks like I will have one drift for removal and another for insertion. Already ordered the 9mm.

I am taking in a WM20 to get running for a fellow Who got ripped-off by a motorcycle shop. Plus I am looking at another semi basket case with no history.
Trying to get parts and tools lined up.

Thanks Ian,
Looks like I will have one drift for removal and another for insertion. Already ordered the 9mm.

I am taking in a WM20 to get running for a fellow Who got ripped-off by a motorcycle shop. Plus I am looking at another semi basket case with no history.
Trying to get parts and tools lined up for the future.

Charlie, You need only one 8,9 mm. or 0.3504 inch tool ! (From Greece)

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1