Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Drive side bearing

The bearings should be a light fit on the shafts...In some BSA publications BSA recommend that when new shafts are fitted they should be worked with emery cloth strip to achieve the correct fit...

If the bearing has been driven on hard previously you have little chance of removing it (with a puller) without destroying the bearing cage...In that case, remove the cage and rollers and that will just leave the inner race..I usually grind the race (carefully) away until it is very thin in one place, taking extreme care not to grind through to the shaft itself...

Once that stage is reached what remains can usually be prised off...

There are other ways of achieving the removal of the inner race but I haven't found a way yet to get a very tight bearing off without any damage to it...

I'd be interested to hear of any other (better) solutions...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

My puller gets them all off but is too crude to show here :relaxed:

But basicly made of a on old lipped outerring cut in half, which goes over the bearing the other way round.

Then the halfs are clamped with a ring or hose clamp to get them firmly around the rollers and ready to pull

The force is taken up by all rollers which minimize the risk of damage.

20201020-220517-1

BR Michiel

Hi, use two tyre levers and press behind the oil flinger the bearing upwards. When there is enough space , use a puller behind the inner race. And Bob's your uncle.

BTW the question was : why so tight 😡

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

I've bent a few oil flinger plates attempting it that way (and still not shifted the bearing)....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1