Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
james comet 2 speed, 98cc,, rigid frame with girder forks

Can anyone tell me how I can find the year and whether this bike served in the RAF? the frame number is F09970 and the engine number is 79711262. Villiers engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Colin.

email (option): colin@snakefreight.com

Re: james comet 2 speed, 98cc,, rigid frame with girder forks

I've never heard of it! Post war they were using BSA B40's and Triumph TRW's. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I've heard previously some Villiers lightweights were used post war by the RAF...
Even in the case of TRWs and B40s access to contract information is much less easy than with WW2 models which have benefitted from a lot of research...I've owned both of those models and had great difficulty getting ANY information...
Post war military bikes are generally ignored at this point in time, just check the lack of postings and general lack of interest on this forum in that regard...

On that basis I wouldn't be too hasty in saying they were never used...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Below is an extract from an article about post war James motorcycles used by the RAF....

'The 99cc Commodore was discontinued in September 1953, but the name would return later to title the AMC 250cc L25 models.

Plummeting sales of the James J1 Autocycle prompted the inevitable notification of its discontinuance in July 1954, leaving the J11 Comet to carry the lightweight standard. Autocycles were now in steep decline, their sales squeezed in competition with cheaper cyclemotors, and more practical lightweight motor cycles, while ahead loomed the growing spectre of the moped.

Considering the popularity of the earlier ML (Military Lightweight) model over the previous decade, up to its discontinuance in 1948, James must have been disappointed that uptake of Comets by the forces was not reflected. Only the RAF subscribed to a small number of machines to serve as general airfield runabouts. These were usually fitted with frame panniers, leg shields and windscreen, which may go to explain the unusual mounting of the dipswitch on the tank strip.

Our featured 1955 J11 Comet is one of these ex-RAF models, still in military blue/grey livery, and originally designated 17AM40.'

The model noted above doesn't have girder forks, it has the very lightweight teles...It may well be that the girder fork models were not used post war or perhaps some wartime ones were employed later on....What is certain is that they had more than TRWs and B40s in the post war period.....Ian

I found that article and downloaded the pictures. I don't know if you could ever find out which ones served with the AM (Air Ministry)? But you could paint a lookalike. Ron

PS the whole article. http://www.icenicam.org.uk/articles1/art0020.html
art0020b
art0020c
art0020d

Ok, I have 3 kinds of James motorcycles in my files, 4 contracts of 98cc. 1 contract with James Cadet 147cc. and 1 other contract with James Cadet 147cc. No frame numbers, no destination, just dates and prices.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Ron Pier
I've never heard of it! Post war they were using BSA B40's and Triumph TRW's. Ron
You and Ian must be getting old Ron, Shane used to bring his to the Buckfastleigh show nearly every year.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

It's the short term memory that goes first Rob..:laughing: ...I thought of Shanes bike when I saw the initial post but I wasn't sure whether it was original so thought better of using it as an example....Now what was it I was going to do today?.....:slightly_frowning_face: ....Ian

Exactly the same for me Rob. I'm sure Shane said his was a just a mock up? Ron

That's possible, I don't seem to have taken any pictures of it.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1