Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Valve springs

Hi, according to my (dutch) manual), which came with the BSA over 50 years ago, the lenght of the valve springs is 2".
The same as the valve springs in the engine.
Now I see that the new ones are 2 1/4".
Why the difference.🤔
John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: Valve springs

Hi John
Where are your springs from ?
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John, I do not know exactly what you mean. I bought my BSA m20 52 years ago and now I want to replace Them because the extremely ticking noise.😡
John

I think what John meant was, who is the supplier of the new springs, where did you buy them?

Also I'm not so sure the ticking noise actually comes from the springs.

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

Hi Michael, I see. They all over the internet for sale and also mention the lenght. On eBay, Feked, British Only Austria and so on.
Mine are from BSA de Groot.
The old valve springs are less then 2".
John 😟

John the WD M20 standards book quotes the valve spring free length to be 2" + or - 1/64" Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

PS. Peter Long at Cornucopia Enterprises in Germany, lists original springs 31-106. Ron

From what I know and checked once years ago, the springs offered in Europe are partly imported from Indian products and some of a poor standard, while some are made in Europe itself and I have not heard any complaints about them, but then again, that was many years ago.
I think I finally got mine from Draganfly as they declared it as a UK product.

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

Lots of 'tapping' can come from excessive play on the camgearing, I figure that when the cam goes over it's highest point the valve spring 'drives' the cam for a moment and pushes the play out which give the tap, then the crankshaft takes over the drive again and this gives another tap....

If you have play on the gears I image that new/stronger valve springs may even increase your tapping...

Luckally the BSA timing set-up is a great design with it's fixed camspindles, so play can easily be detected.

Good luck! BR Michiel

Thanks Michael, I Will check 👍
John

Ron Pier
John the WD M20 standards book quotes the valve spring free length to be 2" + or - 1/64" Ron
Ron, I think the longer valve springs means An improvement.😀
John

I'm sure they will work just fine John. Yet the standards book quotes the maximum length to be only 2 1/64". I wonder why someone decided they should be longer. Drags even quote a different part number for M20 valve springs?? Ron

Hi John

I have a number of nos sets here i can measure for you

I asked about the source - I wasn’t very clear on that

I can try do this tomorrow

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks John, I am curious who, at one point, changed the lenght of the valve springs. I know there are important things in live .
John

Nieuwe pagina 1