Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear stand lug broken

My mate Tim has a broken stand lug and I've made a repair. Another mate turned me up a fresh pivot lug which I've welded in place. A God send was the spring expander that was made by one of our Dutch forum members. Ron
DSCF3186
DSCF3187
DSCF3188
DSCF3190
DSCF3192
DSCF3193

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Rear stand lug broken

good job Ron. the amount of lugs I’ve welded :)

Barry

I take it you have electric welded (Mig) the repair. Mine is worn and I was thinking about enlarging the hole and filling with round section and bronzing it. Maybe too much heat but not sure about vertical electric welding. I would have no problems on a bare frame that can be positioned for easy welding.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Ron,

Neatly done!! I'd held off repairing my own lug because I'd read dire warnings about heat causing the rest of the casting to come free of the frame members. You've shown it can be done -- and the paint isn't even blistered. Beautiful. I'm assuming this wasn't gas welding?

As ever, Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Yes I MIG welded it. (I'm no professional welder though) The bush is wider than the lug it is welded to. The extra width forms a step on the outside of the frame lug which gives a good fillet of weld. The back is flush, so I ground a chamfer to give some penetration.

Ideally it would be better with the frame section on the bench, but the owner didn't want to go that far. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1