Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WM21 crank rebuild -where to go in UK Midlands?

Hi Craig

Fire the Skoda up & point in the direction of the Wirral -

MES - check it on google

Dave plumb forum member will sort it

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi Craig, I’ve had a similar issue trying to find someone to balance the crank on my Enfield, as it vibrates terribly. The balancing place I want to use won’t touch it because of the hours involved in splitting, reassembling and balancing the two halves of the flywheel. I’ve agreed that I will split, rebuild and balance it myself using a friends lathe and dial gauge, then pass it over to the balancer to do their magic. I’ll then rebuild it again myself. I think the challenge will be getting the cranks apart and together again as I’m going to need a big press. The balancer said the last time they did a full single cylinder crank for someone it ended up costing around £1500, just because of the hours involved in setting it up right.

I’m no BSA expert, nor really an engine builder, but I would be wary of using a Con Rod if it’s heavily corroded or pitted, as fatigue cracking always starts at the surface of a component where there are defects, and the Con rod undergoes significant cyclic loading. Large pits may cause an early and catastrophic failure of your engine, as happened to the Tank Museum’s Tiger when the engine was rebuilt for the first time. That said there may be such a huge margin in the M20 engine components that it’s not an issue.

Sorry that I haven’t answered your question.

Regards,
Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

T & L Engineering, Elstow near Bedford. Fire up the Skoda (I'll pass the matches,) and toodle down the A6. I hesitate to recommend these guys because I want them to concentrate on my jobs!
REgards, Mark

['..The balancer said the last time they did a full single cylinder crank for someone it ended up costing around £1500, just because of the hours involved in setting it up right. ..']

He just didn't want the job...Or perhaps he had an odd sense of humour...At £50 pounds an hour £1500 is 30 hours or about four days work and they don't take that long...

For about £800 you can buy a brand new pressed up Pearson crank with a needle roller big end....:laughing: ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you John and Mark: I'm spoilt for choice now 🤗

£1500? That's three Skodas.

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1