Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox type

Not sure which Model it is. Bought it off someone who wasn't sure what it was. So bought as spare. Starting to strip to see how to refurbish.

Before I take out the main shaft and gears. Need to be sure I can put back together so will take photo's.

Have heated up the main case and removed the main bearing, seems ok have de-greased Ultrasonic cleaned and re oiled. Feels ok. Very smooth and no determinable play. Have seen them reasonable price at Dragonfly so may get new ones anyway.

My worry is that it seems to have no felt seals or rubber seals at either end. Seems to rely on steel plates and shims.

Is this normal and can later seal types be added to help keep it oil tight?

Anyway will continue cleaning up so as to be ready to be reassembled. Using Gunk and power wash then heat to dry out and light oiling.

20200906-154644

email (option): bsa945@btinternet.com

Re: Gearbox type

The general consensus nowadays is to fit a sealed bearing at the sprocket end. I always remove the inner seal....Other guys leave it in.

Do a search for Darren Wrudd on this forum. He runs his own bearing company.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Paul,
There is a good article in the tech page, read that then come back if you still have questions.
Most people put in a 2RS bearing, some pop out the inner seal, some don't, down to personal preference.
I went belt and braces, 2RS and then a seal for the sprocket outboard of that, used a later gearbox case, bigger hole.

Scott

Just read the article. Interesting.

My spare is the JHL 66-3030

Main-Case-no

Main-Case

The inner bushes do look pretty good so no messing with these i don't think.

Just not sure of where the felt washers may be needed. Obvious one is the clutch rod entry point.
There where none I could see at all in the strip down so main reliance is close tolerance and steel washers.

Paul C

Checking Small bearing housing and noticed crack.
Seems like new inner alloy cover required.
Tempted to leave for now. How often does this completely fail?

Need to search for replacement at some point. But this process was basically to familiarise myself with the gearbox.

20200912-122323

Next issue/quiery is the Layshaft and its 1st 2nd gear cog.
I struggled to remove this cog. Is it a part not needed to move as it is a tight fit and not one for moving on its own, will not slide on shaft when fitted. Nothing in the documentations so if it is a push fit and not needed to slide fine.

Layshaft

Oh! Managed to get bearings as you can see, top of second picture. The Bearing has one black seal fitted only so happy with that.

They came in a nice goodie bag. Which also warned me in case I had an allergy.

Dragonfly-Motorcycles

Paul C

I think the inner covers crack when the bearing is driven in too hard...Cracked covers are fairly common but I've not seen a total failure yet and I've handled a lot of them over the years....

Heat the cover and cool the bearing in the freezer overnight (in a plastic bag) before fitting and it will just drop in...

The fixed gears on both the main shaft and the lay shaft should be a press fit...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks. That helps me a lot.
I will fit new bearings as is.
And can reassemble gear shaft.

Paul C

Nieuwe pagina 1