Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rescuing my Raf WD Norton Part 3

It’s amazing that someone is so fussy on the details for correct screw threads, but I’m the other hand just paints badly pitted rust........

email (option): Careyscott953@gmail.com

It’s amazing that someone is so fussy on the details for correct screw threads, but I’m the other hand just paints badly pitted metal........

Good work Tom !:ok_hand:
Keep calm and carry on.

email (option): info@wetblast.nl

Scott Carey
It’s amazing that someone is so fussy on the details for correct screw threads, but I’m the other hand just paints badly pitted metal........
Each to his own Scott. I know other ardent forum members/restorers who prefer to not hide the passing of time and flaws. Although It's not for me!! But I wouldn't want to discourage a young guy from his enthusiasm and first time restoration work. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Not only that, threads are mechanical and function will be affected if they are wrong whereas surface rust pits are purely a cosmetic issue...I'm happy to accept I'm guilty of 'over restoration', I like to achieve a finish that exceeds that provided by the factory and dislike 'patina'...I've had rebuilds criticised for that in the past..Too good, not good enough?...As Ron says it's just a personal thing..

I've followed this particular rebuild with interest but without comment up to this point...I think Tom has done a great job so far and no doubt he will 'finesse' his technique as time goes on if he feels the need to...It could be he likes it that way though..

I don't like to think too much about some of my restoration efforts in the early days!!...Ian:laughing:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Being a young person who probably doesn’t have much skills and knowledge like some of us do on WW2 bikes, I think tom has done an excellent job. Maybe if he ever gets another project he’d prob know a bit more and and do things differently.
good job tom

Barry

Thanks for the comment's guys really appreciate them not been on the forum for a bit as I've been ran off my feet helping my dad,

All the comment's really inspire me to get going on her. When I see the concourse bikes done I can totally appreciate the skill and the ability that it takes to get one done like that, unfortunately I haven't got the skill or the ability to do one like that yet as we all have to, I'm currently going through the pain barriers of learning and making mistakes along the way.

I'm having to paint in the garden, while next door have got angle grinders going creating dust clouds the joys the amount of times I've had to grab half done stuff an try move it.

The main thing was to get her back into WD colours an protected till I'm in the position both funds and location wise and have the skill to really go to town on her. I feel so lucky to own a WD bike let alone my dream Norton WD16H still have to pinch my

Regarding Scott's comment I agonised over what to do regarding patina and pit's decided as my RD250LC and My 1968 Norton Commando that's show condition I fancied something a bit different an fully intend to ride her to all the events once she's done still can't wait to meet everyone when this covid is over.

I agonised over that as my inner perfectionist wanted to do her like the cracking resto's Ron, Rik, Ian, Barry, etc all do.

It was the same with hand painting the numbers and roundels which was an enjoyable learning curve. I'm hoping that me having a go and facing the big learning curves in painting matt paint's darn that was hard! and learning other stuff inspires other people my age to get one have a go and join our wonderful British bike community it's been a huge learning curve but a very enjoyable one without younger people even younger than me in my early 30's getting into them the skillset wont be there in the future to keep these beauties running.

As the others say in the future I may revisit and get her super smooth or on a second wd bike they seem to have a way of breeding ha! Always got that option as my skills develop.

I kept the pits but got rid of any rust was hardly any on her tbh very clean.

regarding the screw threads as Ian says they are mechanical so had to be spot on so I don't destroy the threads on my nos levers that a few other members helped me out with without the help and advise of you all I wouldn't have been able to do it or got this far.

She's having to be done on an absolute shoe string budget as we lost our family print company but I'm doing my best to keep a tiny bit of progress going on her as an when I can an funds allow.

I'm totally Brit bike obsessed an hopefully she will not be my last.

Here's my Commando which I'm re doing the engine on an my 650ss which I've owned for 10 years which I got from the original owner an use as my daily that was my first ever go at painting ever on a bike so the wd one is only my 2nd :) learnt loads re commissioning the 650ss an she's super reliable now.

If anything I suffer from motorcycle acquisition syndrome haha tends to run me out of funds, the British bikes are life long keepers though hope to have them till the day I die an then if I'm lucky enough to have some hopefully they can have the relationship I've been lucky enough to enjoy with my dad I know not everyone has that an I feel lucky to an I can teach my lil ones what I've learnt an give them the bikes.

IMG-20200717-230120-867
IMG-20200712-204049-820
IMG-20200615-211610-960
So thank's again to everyone looking forward making some more progress on her just been eying up a few little bits.

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

Lil bit of progress :) fitted the mag plate that one of the forum members helped me out with over the moon with how it looks. Gonnna do the positioning properly soon as I can get the bike out again. Had a mini melt down thinking it had accidentally been thrown out while we were tidying up the other day oopps! After a hour of looking through storage boxes remembered I'd put it in my bedside table do I didn't loose it lol.

Hopefully should be back on with making a bit of progress once some leathers an a few spares for my rd's sell.

Been a total nightmare with next doors building work to so still can't get her out to work on. Suns shining though an still here so can't compain.

20200921-170222-01
20200921-165350-01
20200921-165600-01

Been able to finally get her out again an give her a bit of a clean from next doors building work also made it so I can work on her in the workshop cramped I admit but still enough room to do a few things.

Been looking at what to do with the Carb on her an been thinking whether to get one of the new Amal ones for riding about on anyone been using any I've used the monboloc an the Concentric ones which have been good but not a pre monobloc

Thanks in advance.

120529915-10223446901145128-9069790177967753467-o

You won't fit a monoblock carb on a 16H as it bolts on. Amal do a new stub fitting 276 carb for the 16H, I would do that.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

sorry mate i meant the old style remakes of the 276 http://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/5372/ outta stock at the mo but was thinking it might make more sense / be more reliable for use than throwing money at the old carb maybe.

my phone screens smashed so bit hard typing at the mo lol

I always buy my Amal parts from Hitchcocks. Much quicker and easier to deal with. Ron

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Amal-Carburettors/276-Pre-Monobloc/28361

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron I'll pop them a message when the time comes :) They were great when I got my blackout light.

I wasn’t discouraging, it was just my opinion. The restoration was being done and I quote ‘on a shoe string budget’, but he has multiple classics, not cheap. Like I said just my opinion. I’d rather take twice as long and restore it right once, than have to do it again. I also suppose it’s a case of if your face fits, because not all ‘youngsters’ are given this encouragement from this forum, I’ve observed this over the years.

Well to end, well done Tom on saving your machine, food to see all pulling together to help. Surprised Horror the Norton expert hasn’t posted more

Scott Carey
I wasn’t discouraging, it was just my opinion. The restoration was being done and I quote ‘on a shoe string budget’, but he has multiple classics, not cheap. Like I said just my opinion. I’d rather take twice as long and restore it right once, than have to do it again. I also suppose it’s a case of if your face fits, because not all ‘youngsters’ are given this encouragement from this forum, I’ve observed this over the years.

Well to end, well done Tom on saving your machine, food to see all pulling together to help. Surprised Horror the Norton expert hasn’t posted more
Good to see

Thanks for your opinion Scott never mind anyone pointing out stuff as I love learning an always open to opinions on how to do things better, one thing I've learnt in life is you never stop learning.

Not that I really wanted to get into it as it's personal but regarding the comment on the other bikes not being cheap as I mentioned in my previous post they were done before we lost our family company even then when I was doing 70+ hour weeks printing I didn't go out partying on holidays etc every penny I earnt just goes into my bikes been quite a traumatic time my dads youngest bro in his 40s got diagnosed with terminal cancer just as we lost the company so in one way at least I've been able to spend some time with him and make sure hes ok as can be we are all very close.

I got the WD bike to honour my Gramps who we lost and to try and heal myself a bit after my life being flipped upside down when we lost the company as I had a huge passion for what we did an really poured my heart and soul into it. Hoping to go and retrain in a totally different industry just seeing what gets affected with this covid stuff while helping my dad sort his stuff out.

Even then on the 650ss I was learning as I do stuff.

The Commando was a gutter as I got my fingers burnt on that by someone via one of the owners club never bought a fully restored bike before was meant to be fully restored but alas as I said in the previous post the engine was full of glass media which meant I had to strip her an didn't get to use her as I wanted back then.

650SS was my first go at painting a bike the gloss stuff is so much easier than this matt painting and I'm still learning tons on that as I'm riding and using her as a daily.

Learnt a load as everyone said sometimes the only way to learn is to get stuck in and have a go an learn by your mistakes an yep I've made a load of mistakes as I've been doing it :)

I've learnt through going through the pain barrier of getting stuck in an figuring out how to do stuff not got anyone showing me just the kind advice of everyone when I bombard them with questions which I always appreciate everyone taking the time out of there days to reply I wouldn't have got this far without the advice.

As with many these are really bad times, out of work at the moment having to look at retraining hence the shoestring budget.

I'm still trying to make any progress where I can as an when funds allow as my main priority at the moment is to get her to the point where I can ride her.

Plan is stuff like field stands rear racks can be done a little later. I'm thinking now that the best bet after speaking to one of my friends into his Norton's is to get her running so I can enjoy riding her an come back to the things like throttle etc at a later date when I'm in a better position.

So next step is to get a carb + a wiring loom an sort the regulator out, need to order some more paint at some point as well as I've ran out oops!

I did take the paint right back to metal on any areas that were rusted an treated them so they wont cause any issues thanks to the advice of everyone.

Keep the opinions an advice an comments coming everyone :) I love learning an hopefully others can learn from my mistakes I make an in the future when the next lot of youngsters come up in the years to come I can pass some of the knowledge onto them like you are kindly all passing onto me really we are all just custodians of amazing pieces of history that we actually get to enjoy as well and remember our relatives and loved ones every time I look at the bike I think of all the memories I had with my gramps she certainly is a very emotional bike for me to own and like the other norton's a bike I'll never part with. Lest we Forget :)

Nieuwe pagina 1