Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Float bowl Set up Query

Heya gang,

So after 12ish years of sitting, I kicked her to life today. It took several kicks seeing as the new Amal Carb had yet to be set up correctly.

However, we did notice one thing about the float bowl.

At the top pin setting, the float needle doesn't completely close off the fuel connection, and thus floods the bowl and doesn't stop pissing out the 2 relief holes at the top.

At the second float setting, it does stop sufficiently (and runs at this setting, I should add), but is very hard to start.

Further, at the second float setting the "tickler" button doesn't appear to touch the top of the float, and thus doesn't cause a flood necessary for starting.

Suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

Brad

email (option): You can look me up in past posts :)

Re: Float bowl Set up Query

no personal experience of this but I did find this a while a go

"Amal float needles used to have only one groove but these days they supply it with two grooves about 1/4 inch apart to facilitate the plastic float which does not have the bow clip on top and uses a throttle needle clip to hold the float in place. So bottom groove for the new white plastic float and top groove for the old style copper or brass float"

does this help?

OK i trust you have the new type carburetter with the plastic float in it. If so you use the lower groove in the float needle if you have the old style copper float which has the bow clip on top then you use the top notch. That is why they have the two positions on the needle to cater for the new and old float. When the float bowl cap is screwed down tight and you depress the tickler it should touch the float enough to allow petrol into the carburetter.

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

Ok, so you guys are spot on correct.

It appears as though the bottom notch is for the plastic float on my 10 year old 276 carb.

However, the problem arises as follows:

The distance from the top of the float body is 21mm (thereabouts) to the top of the float

The distance from the tickler to the top is 17mm, extended is just shy of 21mm. Ergo, it is not touching the float when depressed.

Thoughts? I know the float can't come up. It runs very nicely where it is once it is started. So the other option is to somehow make the tickler longer by about 3 mm. a piece of small rubber tubing?

Any others encounter this?

Brad

Maybe try a new tickler? These are obviously designed for new carbs with a plastic float. Ron
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/12157?qty=1&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F3379

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ok just checked a new 1B bowl with the plastic float and the float when bowl held upside down is 19 mil from the top and the tickler touches the float by just over 1 mil at 20 mil. It does not have to touch by much. I would take the tickler out and check to see that there is not a small part of metal stopping it. I use a drop of solder on the end of the tickler and file to allow the small brass top hat to slide over it.

Interesting. My tickler doesn't touch my float when depressed, once the bowl is full (and float is up).

Aka: I can't flood the bowl by depressing the tickler. :(

Maybe a solder job is in order.

Brad

Thanks John. A little wee drop of solder on the end filed to add about 1.5mm or so did the trick. Now I can flood the carb with the tickler.

Best,

Brad

Glad you sorted it and let the forum viewers know of the outcome. Regards John

Nieuwe pagina 1