Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Primary Cover (outer) - Are there more than 1 type?

I have a spare “flanged” primary cover destined for a Bitsa M20; it appears that it would be simple enough to cut the flange flush with the cover lip and have a good fit. (?)

I’m assuming someone has tried this at some point as the flanged covers are more readily available.

Any comments?

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

The flange is spot welded to the cover...Drilling out the welds would allow it to be completely removed though the resulting small holes would have to be welded up afterwards...

If the flange was cut back to the edge of the cover that would leave a thin strip of material the thickness of the flange still welded to it..Though visible I shouldn't think the remaining piece would be at all obvious with a little filler applied before painting...Just keep away from rivet counters...:laughing: ...

If the bike isn't to standard specification the cover can be fitted with the flange only partially cut away to clear the breather casting on the crank case...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

This one looks good:

Gerade bei #eBayKleinanzeigen gefunden. Wie findest du das?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/bsa-b31-primaerkettenkasten/1476738106-306-370?utm_source=sharesheet&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

The seller did send me some extra photo's, see below. I am not that interested, I already have enough of these. Price is also ok, IMO.

IMAGE-1596560754239-4240188970756164444

IMAGE-1596560754301-1783681221693490852

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

I have had more than a few genuine WW2 WD M.20 outer chaincase covers over the years, some with damage and others appearing good. The general comment from those whom I have asked to repair holes in some has been the metal is extremely poor quality steel. I had one in particular that looked good but discovered it was porous with a constant film of oil on the outside of the chaincase.

I suppose that is how it was at the time - if it did not require top quality material you did not get it.

Nieuwe pagina 1