Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Valve spring tool

DAVID MOFFAT
Charlie,
Reference your tapping noise.
I once checked over a tapping M20 to eventually discover that an over-long bolt had been fitted to the timing hole in the head.
It was only just touching the piston......
Remedy obvious; worth a look.
David
My bolt seems excessive long,but no indication of piston contact.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Ian Wright
Charlie...Where abouts are you located?...Ian
Ian I live in a little seaside town called Brick New Jersey USA.
This weekend we are having a First Infantry Division meeting at my son’s farm
So far we have two Matchless, two Indians two Harley WLA, my KM20 and a couple of Chinese/USSR bikes made over to look like BMW.
We so far have 3 Weapons Carriers, assorted Jeeps, halftrack, with probably another 20 vehicles on the was.

The group have a strong preference for Norton, Matchless or Indian. One guy warned me he has never seen an M20 that ran. “Don’t waste your money”

After we hauled off the trailer, I kicked her over three time at full throttle full choke full decompression. Found TDC Decompress a little thin full advance and a good kick.
Started first kick. That got their attention.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

['..One guy warned me he has never seen an M20 that ran. “Don’t waste your money”...']

Anyone who says that has obviously never owned one...:laughing: :laughing: ...I've done well over 100,000 miles on mine...

As you're in the States you may well find a Snap On valve lifter on e bay... Or maybe a new one from Snap On?...I'll post the part number for it later today....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Like Ian has just mentioned, he has no idea.
I have never seen a bike that will take so much abuse and still go forward
Got a nice photo of a barrel some where that the pin clip had fallen out & the pin had worn a groove right through the linner
The piston sat at about 5 deg off horizontal and had a gap of about 1/8" on the worn side of the bore.
And yes it ran, blew a lot of smoke over 1/2 throttle but it ran.

If you pop over http://www.bsanational.org.au/bsa2006/Saturday_Photos.html in the photos is another WM20, found in a chook shed , not touched for at least 40 years.
The finder put some fuel in it, gave the carb a shot of starting fluid & rode it home .
The next week he rode it to the rally.
He did about 10 laps of Mt Pannorama flat chat ( note the deflection in the rear tyre ) then finished the 100 mile run.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I can't speak fluent Australianese...What's a 'chook shed'?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A chook shed is a hen house. The more rustic the better.

Nieuwe pagina 1