Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum Picture...

Hi Jan...You have e mail...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi all,
How would you go about having a numberplate on this bracket? My bike is only a few numbers away from the forum bike. Mine's C4343114, at the moment I have one of Jan's other numberplates for the Dan Dare light.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave you will have to have a number plate. But it could be a simple clip on or magnetic....Just so that you can show people what it would have been like.....You can then donate your Dan Dare lamp to my WC10 cause. :imp: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ray's photo of the number plate holder is actually the one I have. This photo is from when it was still in Greece. The owner kept the taillight and sold the Number plate holder to me. So it's indeed from contract C7287.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Ron,
It's not a real one.
Dave

OK Dave. I already have one real one on my KC10 (left bike) and one that I made for my WC10. It takes a little bit of scrutiny to tell them apart, but I live in hope of replacing the fake one:yum: Ron

DSCF3029

Yeh Ron,
They both look good, can't tell the difference. Good look with that, how about Nathan's?
Dave

I guess he'll be looking for his 700+ quid back Dave, and I'm not prepared to go that far. I'm also not so concerned about it being NOS. Sometimes bringing an unloved second hand item back into existence is more rewarding. Ron
IMG-5484
IMG-5483
DSCF3120

[' Sometimes bringing an unloved second hand item back into existence is more rewarding. Ron ...']

There's a lot of truth in that..When rummaging in my stock of parts I'd always pick out the best part as it generally meant the least work..However, with sheet metal parts in particular, it meant I wasn't getting any better at repairing things and the 'leftover' section was made up of more and more parts in poor/damaged condition...

Over time I deliberately started to go for the less good parts and took the challenge of 'turning a sows ear into a silk purse'...Results were mixed to say the least initially but eventually I surprised myself!...After rear ending a car on my M20 the front mudguard was looking decidedly battered, to the extent that even the centre rib was reversed over a short section...That took some tooling and a couple of days work to get right but eventually it went back onto a bike looking none the worse for the experience....I recently spent three days removing the dents from a toolbox cover that had to be chrome plated after the work was done...That leaves no margin for error as a chrome finish will show any defect however small...

As Ron says, bringing something back from the edge, although hard work, is very satisfying if you manage it...Ian

Wow Ron, is that how much he paid? Crazy. Love the toolbox work, is that an old piston I can see stuck inside it.
Getting back to the forum bike, I see that the exhaust and silencer are black, is this correct? I was going to go with that dull chrome like finish.
Dave

Yes it's a small piston Dave. The guy who gifted me the toolbox never attempted to free the hinge to remove the contents.

Nathan said "I wont say how expensive the lamp was, but it started with a 7".... Well it wouldn't have been just 70 quid!.

Ron

Just because I posted pictures of my "Val Page" toolbox earlier in this thread. Here is the finished job, fitted today. I need another one of those round knobs for the other box. Brian Tillin has them (dull plated) for 15 quid. Ron

DSCF3128

That looks spot on there, Ron. Proper job 👍

Nice job Ron, you couldn't tell what it looked like before:smiley:
Nathan's light could have been 79 quid, :grimacing: Sounds silly money.
Dave

Dave, since an everyday mundane CZ27 ammeter can cost up to £250, I don't think a "Once in a Blue Moon" NOS Dan Dare lamp will be for sale for 79 Quid:confused: Ron

I'm taking a big risk here making any comment ref. Nathan but originally he was offering £500 for an original lamp or 'more' for a NOS item so it definitely isn't £79..:relaxed: .....Ian

OK guys, I was only joking. I did gather it was more than £79.
Dave

You would think for that sort of money a competent and skilled person or company would make quality replicas that you could not distinguish from the real thing.

I suppose if there was a larger enough market then that might happen.

Yes you hit the nail Keith. For this particular item (Lucas MT1130 lamp) the market is extremely limited. One year only 1940 Ariel and BSA. And just for those owners who haven't already got one fitted or even want to bother with it if they haven't. Ron

I don’t know about Ariel but with BSA it was fitted for 1939 year model Only to my knowledge
But - early WM models were fitted with the MT 1130 prior to switching to the MT110 rear light

It seems to have stopped on W models in late 39 when they also relocated the frame number to the headstock - I think this was in November or so

They are a very stylish light - last year in Normandy I saw a very original M20/21 - civilian model in bayeaux which had this light attached
Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

It is confusing John as the 1939 WD models had that lamp but it wasn't shown in the 1939 civy brochure, but it was shown in the 1940 brochure??? Ron

1939 C11
1939-c11

1940 C12
1940-c12

So at which WD contract did they stop fitting that rear light?...It was sometime in 1940 I suppose...Ian

I image Henk should have enough pictures in his archive to give an idea. Ron

BSA-WM21-2415

I have a photo of a 1939 W model with an 1130 & also a number plate from 1939 of a W model again with the 1130 cut out on it

My brothers old bike - a 39 W was fitted with an 1130 and a tool box with a lock

I can cross reference the Reg numbers, frame numbers & bsa record to get a better idea

Bikes which were delivered in January to June 40 all fitted with mt110

I’ll look at this in the morning

['Bikes which were delivered in January to June 40 all fitted with mt110'...]

Contact C5110 manufactured between Sept. 1939 and Feb. 1940 has an illustration showing the bike fitted with the 'torpedo' light....Ian

This is the last BSA in my collection of photos with frame WM20.7722 that still has the MT1130 taillight. There could of course still be BSA's with higher frame numbers that had the MT1130 fitted.

Henk.

C3931142-WM20-7722

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi all

The models listed below all have pictorial history to define rear light fitted - either mt1130 or mt110

With IDF bikes carrying registration number and records publicly open to view, the frame and reg numbers can be easily matched

Starting with 1939 year registered bikes - Jan to dec
Zc 9564 - WM20 5174 - mt1130
Zc 7321 - Km20 661 - mt1130
Zc 9515 - wm20 5302 - mt110
Zc 9517 - wm20 5739 - mt1130 - this was originally owned by my brother - bought from an IDF officer who bought it from ballincollig barracks in the 1950’s - still fitted with an 1130 & lock fitted toolbox
Zc 9526 - wm20 5229 - mt1130
Zc 9566 - wm20 5072 - mt1130
Zc 9507 - wm20 5225 - mt1130

1940 registered bikes Jan 1940 to 1946 - no change in prefix for duration of wartime
Zd 11 - wm20 2043 - mt110
Zd 140 - wm20 2261 - mt110
Zd 149 - wm20 2230 - mt110
Zd 210 - wm20 2192 - mt110
Zd 258 - wm20 2222 - mt110
Zd 286 - wm20 3969 - mt110
Zd 1206 - wm20 3951 - mt110
Zd 1229 - wm20 3954 - mt110

It seems that more searching of factory records required - the trigger seems to be the introduction of the w models with lower frame numbers -although features such as transfer of speedometer gearbox To near side seems to have been implemented - the location of frame no on the lower frame engine mounting continued a bit longer

Hope this helps
Br
Jo,b

It would seem that the fitting of an MT1130 to WD bikes ceased in late 1939. Both the WD KC10 and WC10 models were all produced in 1939. However the WC12's that were supplied to the Admiralty later in 1940 were fitted with an MT110 although they still retained the MT1130 number plate.

I've no idea if any civy bikes produced in 1940 were still fitted with the MT1130. Production of the Civy 'C' range ceased in June 1940! After which 'C' models were supplied only to the Admiralty- the India Office and GPO.

Female-Dispatch-Riders-in-The-WWII-1

forum

['I've no idea if any civy bikes produced in 1940 were still fitted with the MT1130..]...

The B29s definitely had them fitted and they were 1940 only models (even though that commenced in August '39) so it may well be that the small amount of other models made before civvy production ceased may have had them.....Ian

The 1940 parts list for C10-11-12, B29, M20-21, G14 etc quotes the same Lucas part number for all models but with no illustration. 052116.

The 1939 parts list quotes Lucas 526010 and 526082 which I have deduced from my post war Lucas cataloque to be the MT210 and MT110.

But for some reason the 1939 WD bikes where fitted with a Lucas MT1130 (Dan Dare).... Why on Earth would BSA or the WO have chosen that lamp as suitable for military use?

Anyone got a period Lucas catalogue to confirm that #052116 is an MT1130 and why was Lucas numbering so confusing? Ron

Here's a 1940 B29...

And here's a Silver Star...

....Ian

It's what I thought all along as stated in my original post on the subject. "One year only 1940 for Ariel and BSA". But for some reason fitted to BSA WD models in 1939. ?? Ron

i wish that new replies would appear first instead of having to scroll all the way down past what you already read previously but maybe there is a reason for this?
BTW i love reading every post as it educates me on all things WD that i couldnt even think of asking, thanks so much for all your knowledge everybody

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Ron, there are some Lucas part numbers in the Nov 1943 Chilwell VAOS parts catalogue but they don't seem to match the ones you have found?

Not many parts were still available at the time for any of the early lamps, it looks like you were supposed to replace the entire unit with the later type and presumably ditch the number plate at the same time?

Rob

tail01

tail02

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I'm even more confused over Lucas numbering Rob:worried: Ron

Recently bought a 1939 brown brothers catalogue on e bay

I expect it to be delivered to me sometime in the next week or so

I will look into this when it arrives to see if the Lucas numbers are listed

Jo’b