Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lucas E3HM earth screw

Plating isn't cheap due to the preparation as much as anything...A lot of platers say they can do dull chrome plating and I've had some disappointments based on those statements...

Basically there's 'traditional' dull chrome plating which is a process in itself that is not the same as that used for bright chrome...I know that copper and dull nickel are applied before the finish but don't know the full process myself..

Dull chrome is not in demand particularly these days and various platers have come up with other ways of getting a dull finish without the need to maintain tanks specifically for the process..

'Satinising' polishing soaps are used that are supposed to give the dull finish to a part that's been bright chromed, bead blasting at some stage in the process, possibly to dull the bright nickel prior to plating and probably other methods are employed as substitutes for the correct process...

In my experience none of these methods are anything like as good visually or as durable as genuine dull chrome...

I'm looking for a plater myself at the moment to do a full set of parts for my M20, having previously had them done twice by platers who were supposed to be able to 'produce the goods'...

So, a cautious approach should be taken whatever any plating company tells you they can do...I'd certainly send a couple of small parts to be plated as a sampler so you can see what you're going to get before parting with a large wedge of cash...

Dull chrome used to be called 'camera finish' in the plating shops because it was so commonly used on the components of old cameras...It should just look like matt silver paint, with an even finish when done correctly...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Lucas E3HM earth screw

Another point to consider and check up on, is that lots of platers won't touch a used exhaust system as a tiny amount of carbon can mess up a whole tank of fluid. My own plater won't even accept a used petrol tank.

As far as exhaust paint is concerned. I use this on second hand exhausts, like this on my WD/G which has covered probably 2000 miles since I sprayed it. The only draw back is they only sell the rattle cans in boxes of six. Ron

https://www.firwood.co.uk/categories/heat-resistant-paints/greater-than-250-c/product/firwood-75-high-temperature-resisting-paint/75~75-6631-D

DSCF2369

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1