Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas E3HM earth screw

Hello to all,

I’ve just got the cables and dynamo to finish on my WD/CO/B before starting her up. The E3HM dynamo is partly disassembled and I’ve noticed the Screw which secures the field coil lead to the body by the brushes is missing. Does anyone know what size screw it is as I can’t find the original.

Also can anyone recommend somewhere that will do Matt chrome for handlebar controls and exhausts. I tried exhaust paint in an effort to reduce cost, but it keeps flaking off at the slightest touch, and is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Many thanks,

Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Re: Lucas E3HM earth screw

I've endured the rigors of getting dull chrome or nickel plating done for many years and am reluctant to make any recommendations.
But for a much more durable paint finish, try:-....... which gives an ally finish:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simoniz-Wheel-Silver-Spray-Paint-500ml-/273123310246

or which gives a mat zinc finish:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZG-90-Cold-Zinc-Galvanize-Rust-Protection-Silver-Spray-500ml/261665713374?epid=19034027988&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3cec7decde:g:85oAAOSwAF5UahWR&enc=AQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

PS I'll check the size of that screw later. Ron

PPS. the screw on the dynamo that I just looked at is 5BA.

Ron

Great, thanks Ron, I'll get one on order and have a look at the paint options.

The dull chrome finish is hard to replicate and no paint on levers would stand much use I wouldn't have thought...Perhaps a coat of matt top coat lacquer applied after the paint might help in that regard...

An alternative dull finish which isn't identical but does look OK is tin plating...If you can get a plater to put copper under it I should think it would last reasonably well and protect the component base material...

If bright chrome plating has been applied properly it can be bead blasted down to a dull finish using a grit that is not too aggressive, such as 80 grit aluminium oxide and a lower than normal air pressure...If you have a plater for bright chrome I'd advise running just one or two small items through the system as a test...This method, though it can be effective obviously carries the risk that even a small failure of the 'base' plating ruins the whole component in terms of finish...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian,

My principal issue with painting was the exhaust. As I thought this might be cost prohibitive to Chrome plate I tried a silver exhaust paint. Which looked great, until I handled it, and now it's chipping off in large chunks at the slightest knock. I prepped the exhaust well and panel wiped it, but it hasn't bonded to the steel well at all. I'd always planned to try and plate the levers. As you say, the constant use is likely to rub it off.

I've just found a plater in Yorkshire that advertises doing matt Chrome, 'as used on old motorbikes', so I've asked for a quote and an example of the finish. Crossing my fingers now that the quote isn't too expensive. I haven't had anything plated for about 11 years so a bit out of touch regarding costs.

I'll post more here when I get a quote or some results back.

Plating isn't cheap due to the preparation as much as anything...A lot of platers say they can do dull chrome plating and I've had some disappointments based on those statements...

Basically there's 'traditional' dull chrome plating which is a process in itself that is not the same as that used for bright chrome...I know that copper and dull nickel are applied before the finish but don't know the full process myself..

Dull chrome is not in demand particularly these days and various platers have come up with other ways of getting a dull finish without the need to maintain tanks specifically for the process..

'Satinising' polishing soaps are used that are supposed to give the dull finish to a part that's been bright chromed, bead blasting at some stage in the process, possibly to dull the bright nickel prior to plating and probably other methods are employed as substitutes for the correct process...

In my experience none of these methods are anything like as good visually or as durable as genuine dull chrome...

I'm looking for a plater myself at the moment to do a full set of parts for my M20, having previously had them done twice by platers who were supposed to be able to 'produce the goods'...

So, a cautious approach should be taken whatever any plating company tells you they can do...I'd certainly send a couple of small parts to be plated as a sampler so you can see what you're going to get before parting with a large wedge of cash...

Dull chrome used to be called 'camera finish' in the plating shops because it was so commonly used on the components of old cameras...It should just look like matt silver paint, with an even finish when done correctly...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Another point to consider and check up on, is that lots of platers won't touch a used exhaust system as a tiny amount of carbon can mess up a whole tank of fluid. My own plater won't even accept a used petrol tank.

As far as exhaust paint is concerned. I use this on second hand exhausts, like this on my WD/G which has covered probably 2000 miles since I sprayed it. The only draw back is they only sell the rattle cans in boxes of six. Ron

https://www.firwood.co.uk/categories/heat-resistant-paints/greater-than-250-c/product/firwood-75-high-temperature-resisting-paint/75~75-6631-D

DSCF2369

Nieuwe pagina 1