Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carburetor

Chaps

I obtained a reconditioned carburetor from a know dealer , it all looks well , however when I slided the carb onto it's mounting studs ( original short size) I noticed it does not sit true against the block and is slightly warped, so guessing it has been overtighten in the passed and this has not been picked up by the daeler. Any suggestions what to do or just sent it back .

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Re: Carburetor

I've got a small surface plate (A sheet of plate glass will do) I put down a sheet of 240 W&D paper and tape round the edges. with a bit of water on the sheet and by keeping the flange flat on the surface and back and forth and circular rubbing you can soon get a warped flange flat, again. You can see the two shiny outside edges coming together in the middle........Or send it back! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
I've got a small surface plate (A sheet of plate glass will do) I put down a sheet of 240 W&D paper and tape round the edges. with a bit of water on the sheet and by keeping the flange flat on the surface and back and forth and circular rubbing you can soon get a warped flange flat, again. You can see the two shiny outside edges coming together in the middle........Or send it back! Ron
I also use a small sheet of toughened glass but instead of W&D paper I use fine grinding paste on the glass and work the carb body over it in a circular motion. Wash off with paraffin or similar will soon show where the problem is - so still keep going until the face is perfectly flat. Wash out thoroughly though at the end to ensure no particles of grinding paste are left to be sucked into the engine.

By the way I use the rear window out of an old Mini Van (they are about 12" square)in lieu of buying a sheet of plate glass.

Or as Ron says - send it back - but of course they might say it was perfect when dispatched to you and you must have over tightened the carb body.

When you say reconditioned I trust you mean a few worn parts replaced with new parts as anyone who reconditions carburetters would check the flange on a flat surface as a matter of course and the threads for wear before they even started doing anything. I use wet and dry on a flat surface and move in a figure 8 motion and soon get it right. On the odd occasion I have had to use a file on the outer edges to get it flat.If it is warped I would be checking to see that the slide moves up and down smoothly because if it is warped on the flange the body can also go egg shaped and have tight spots on two sides that restricts the slides movement. This is corrected if the carburetter body is bored out and an oversize slide fitted.

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1