Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Irish stationed wm20s

Hi all does anyone have any information on m20s that served in ireland being ordered or retro fitted with km type rear valanced mudguards .
I have seen various wm20s all being about 1941 that have either served or come through long kesh with early rear guards and all have the same reme rebuild plate

Re: Irish stationed wm20s

Hi Nigel

If you are referring to Southern Ireland?

There are quite a number of early M20s listed in the BSA factory ledgers as going to Dublin

KM20s to Dept Defence Dublin

91 fron frame block KM20 1640-1737
KM20 1914
31 from frame block KM20 4922-4995

WM20s to MOD Dublin

627 from frame block WM20 2001-7200

However the BSA ledgers are very unreliable, many of these machines could have been diverted to the British War Office.

But if the machines you have seen had a REME rebuild plate they can't have gone directly to Ireland from BSA so its possible that the War Office were making up Dublin's lost orders from rebuilt machines when the British needs had been met?

What dates were on the rebuild plates?

If you are talking about Northern Ireland then they are just random rebuilt BSAs from the British Army?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Nigel

I have a 40 dated m20 here from n Ireland - fitted with original tinware inc 8” headlight

It was demobbed in 1959

A second machine here with me - again 1940 - went through the workshops and finished it’s time more of a 1941 /42 bike Spec

As rob pointed out a considerable number of early bikes went to the IDF in Dublin - after their disposal, many migrated north as they entered the “civilian” market - cheap & cheerful

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi rob the rebuild plate is dated 8-51 class 1 wk sps kinnegar nid
The key card states the bike ending its army career in long kesh I was told this was an raf base during ww2 but later became a prison
Regards nigel

email (option): Bodiweld@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for the info ill try and send a photo of the rebuild plate to see if their the same

Hi Nigel

The post war key cards usually show the last unit or depot where the bike or vehicle was based or stored, I did start a spread sheet which showed these locations and a quick search shows I found 157 BSA M20s so far at Long Kesh but not necessarily at the same time.

Rob

Nigel's rebuild plate.

thumbnail

Yes mine ended up at cvp long kesh 21-10-66
Is it ever possible to find out what they did or where they were before this date
Regards nigel

By 1966, most of these machines had become Cold War reserve stock and it would simply have been in store at the Command Vehicle Park at Long Kesh.

Unfortunately, the system used on the record cards seems to have been one of pencil and eraser so only the last entry is generally visible. It's clear that the bike was already within the Northern Ireland Command by 1951 when it went through the Command Workshops at Kinnegar. Apart from that, it's all guesswork...Whether it spent the war in Northern Ireland, travelled there with a unit being posted or was simply transferred from a UK depot is impossible to say.

It does sound though as if Kinnegar had a large stock of deLuxe mudguards !

The key card for this one reads

19YD02 30871 4347463 CVD LONG KESH 21 10 66

Its interesting that it still had its factory serial "C" number and never received a rebuild serial, apart from that there isn't much more to learn from this?

Rob

It seems that with a number of bikes based in N Ireland I have seen or discussed - many survived with early parts

They probably had an easier operational life there so survived the trips to the workshops there retaining much of their original equipment

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I'm not sure actually that all workshops in all areas used the parts bin 'Rebuild / New Serial' system....It seems quite likely, considering how many have survived with matching numbers that in some locations, machines were reconditioned / repaired and then returned to units.

Hi, I live in N.Ireland and have seen multiple bikes around 1940 to 41 that have the rear valenced mudguard. I've seen it too many times to think it is just a coincidence. All the best Glenn

email (option): Glenn.mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Thank you all for your help and information
It's much appreciated
Regards nigel

Yes Jan I reported it to Henk earlier. I did click it and hope I'm safe :angry: .Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1