Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sliding plate bolts

im at the point where i have the inner primary on and i fit the clutch assembly and adjusted the chain, now how are you supposed to tighten the sliding plate bolts as the beads are now behind the clutch assembly. bend a thin spanner?

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Re: sliding plate bolts

They are not meant to be tightened. The plate is supposed to be free to slide as you adjust the primary chain tension. Otherwise you'd have to remove the outer chaincase and use that non existent skinny spanner whenever you adjust the chain. :slightly_frowning_face: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

aha! so use a locknut on the back then, but they didnt have them back then did they

In fact, the bolts should be tightened....
They should have a shouldered section and then a threaded section..The depth of the shoulder should be sufficient to still allow the clutch plate to slide when the nuts on the back of the inner cover are tightened...The nuts pull the shouldered section against the inside face of the inner cover...A fibre washer, washer and nut are fitted to the bolts...

All of this should be done before the inner cover, engine sprocket etc. and clutch are fitted to the bike..That enables you to check that the clearance for the sliding plate is correct and it moves freely without being loose...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

aha, thanks for that, i have to take the clutch back off anyway to get the spring compressed and the nut on, so i will do the sliding plate correctly then, so its a fibre washer on the shouldered bolt between the sliding plate and inner cover i would think ?

diagram. Ron
sheet-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Doh! i should have looked on Drags site....thanks guys

The shoulder on the bolt can't be seen clearly in that illustration but you'll see it when you get it all apart...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

thanks Ian, its going back together now and the pics i have of the teardown show it just had regular bolts in it

Nieuwe pagina 1