Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
alternate air cleaner

what are you guys using for an air cleaner/filter if not the Volkes type, ive seen the Bantam ones but im sure they are too small to fit the carb
thanks
Kevin

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Re: alternate air cleaner

I just received my shipment from Amal carbs of the one pictured here (Part 30/326):

http://amalcarb.co.uk/pre-monobloc/76-276-series/air-intakes/276-gauze-intake-assembly.html

Note: does not include gauze: you need to order this seperately.

I've not fitted it yet, but it looks good and is well crafted.

Brad F

email (option): You can look me up in past posts :)

You're lucky..Whenever I want something from Amal it always seems to be out of sock...They have recently lost sales for two complete carbs as a result and that wasn't the first time either...Ian:face_with_rolling_eyes:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

When I was riding in trials on a !927 Raleigh a ladies stocking did the job, the thigh end wrapped round the bellend, (of the carburettor) and secured with black tape,(no tie wraps then) and the toe end tied round the frame under the saddle. A pair of stockings would last for quite a few trials, probably no good now, I don't think they are available in ethanol proof nylon, and probably not politically correct anyway. Happy days.

I gave up with Burlen Fuels (Amal) some years ago. I'd already had unsuccessful dealings with them, but my Mate Graham picked me up for the drive to Salisbury to buy a new carb for one of his bikes. They had all the parts in stock but said it would take 6-8 weeks to assemble them.

We couldn't believe what the guy was saying and when we queried it, he said that they've got far more important things to do than Amal carbs. They also refused point blank to sell us the kit of parts to assemble ourselves.

I use Hitchcocks now who keep all the parts in stock to assemble a carb to your spec the same day. Check out the accessories also!
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Pre-monobloc-Complete

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That's interesting Ron, I've always found Burlem helpful and prompt when ordering SU car carb bits but have never tried them for Amal, I'll be needing 2 1"3/16 Monoblocs soon so if they prat about I'll give Hitchcocks a try.

Tony

i just went on their site to order a gauze filter for 45 quid, ok no problem until i saw the shipping was 30 quid!! not a chance..
so does anyone have one for sale or i guess i can check Hitchcocks

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

I would exercise some caution with these filters. Tried fitting it last night, and we can get 1 thread turn on, but that is it.

So an examination shows it is the correct thread pitch (24) - but the inside diameter of the mating surface is 0.05mm too small.

I haven't thought of a suitable solution yet to make this work. But it seems there goes a little over a hundred bucks down the drain.

Brad

email (option): You can look me up in past posts :)

The bike i am emulating (granted very slowly), is one my late father in law rode in Burma 1944.
I have a couple of photo’s of him on it and it had a Talflow filter on the tank.
So after some considerable searching, i managed to get one from a very nice chap in Aus. , so thats my choice
Darren

I am with Ron, Hitchcocks are REALLY good; they have a large range of spare parts for Amals of all ages AND you can have a chat with them on the phone and they will actually try out parts to check they fit, if you ask or are unsure. Delivery is fast too. I last ordered a complete new 276 from them; told them what it was for and they went through it to check it out before they sent it to me (correct jets, slide, etc) - result was it worked straight from the box.

Brad, do you know anyone with a lathe that can cut imperial threads and can be bribed with beer? That air cleaner looks like it could be chucked up readily and while a bit fiddly to get set-up it, should be possible to get a thread tool 'in-synch' with the existing threads and creep up on the right dimension.
I'd take it on for you but I'm in Australia so shipping to and fro would be a killer (and take forever in the current climate).

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1