Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unknown bikes and troops.

Side cars are on the left hand side,writing on the back is possibly French.

Re: Unknown bikes and troops.

Strange, Steve. Captions half in English and half in French. They refer to a Motorcycle Corps...

Left hand chairs and not anything that I recognise as pre-war French.

I'm 99% sure that those bikes are pre-war Velocette MAC's. Did some of the French colonies (Africa for instance) drive on the left?

The French government did order 500 more in 1940. The order was canceled when Paris fell and my own MDD is one of the canceled bikes which were all reallocated to British and Russian units. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Interesting pictures, the Machine guns are French Chatellerault mle 1924, the forage caps look British and the Rifles look like British P14s or possibly US P17s?, I would guess British supplied Free French Forces probably in Africa?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Ron Pier
I'm 99% sure that those bikes are pre-war Velocette MAC's. Did some of the French colonies (Africa for instance) drive on the left?

The French government did order 500 more in 1940. The order was canceled when Paris fell and my own MDD is one of the canceled bikes which were all reallocated to British and Russian units. Ron
I also think that the machines may well be Velocette MACs - the giveaway being the front mudguard stay going over the top of the mudguard rather than under it.

keith chandler
Ron Pier
I\'m 99% sure that those bikes are pre-war Velocette MAC\'s. Did some of the French colonies (Africa for instance) drive on the left?

I also think that the machines may well be Velocette MACs - the giveaway being the front mudguard stay going over the top of the mudguard rather than under it.
Defiantly Velocette, you can see the dynamos with the regulators on top. also the dynamo belt covers on both bikes.

Nieuwe pagina 1