Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crankcase Sealant

Hi everyone. I just wanted to check for recommendations on the sealant to use between the 2 halves of the crankcase of a BSA M20? Cheers! Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Re: Crankcase Sealant

What I use.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/anaerobic-gasket-makers-flange-sealants/permatex-anaerobic-gasket-maker/

Hondabond. About $12 online or at a Honda dealer. Clean the sealing surfaces with acetone, apply and clamp together. Never fails for me.

Regards

DTW927

email (option): Dwdiak4@gmail.com

i use HYLOMAR on everything british...always have, the real stuff not the Permatex Hylomar

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

I always use Three bond (also known as Yama bond, Honda bond, Kawa bond and so on). Makes even a Triumph Bonneville free from oil leaks.

/Simon

I second that motion on Hylomar, very good stuff.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Thanks for the recommendations! For Hylomar, is that Hylomar blue?

Cheers, Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

I always use Wellseal if it,s good enough for Rolls Royce then good enough for a old BSA. Plus you dont get particles from this sealant going into oil ways etc..

Yes Hylomar Blue, developed by Rolls Royce for jet turbine engines

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

I use different products depending on the application...Silicone sealant, Yamabond or grease...For the crank case joint it would be silicone usually...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian and all. I've ordered some hylomar and will compare this with silicon for the crank case application. Cheers Glenn

email (option): Glenn.mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Im hoping this is on topic enough to post on this thread..Some years back,during the process of shifting house I damaged a pair of BSA M20 crankcases. They were loosely together & fell onto the floor. 3/4 of the lipped seal between the halves broke clean off. Ive been told modern sealants would work on these and make them oil tight & useable again. What is the forums opinion on this?

email (option): Fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

Yes they would...

The crank case register (the lip and recess) was machined in the same operation as the main bearing housings and its purpose is primarily to align the crank case halves, and thus the main bearings, accurately.. With a damaged register, or no register as some engines have, it becomes a face to face joint like any other gasket face and can readily be sealed with silicone or similar...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, that is good news... these cases are(or were) pristine and fresh from the vapour blaster.👍

email (option): Fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1