Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8 inch Lucas King of the Road headlight question

hi Chaps, I have just acquired a correct military rim and frosted glass with clear centre for my 8 inch Lucas headlight. I am however struggling to understand how the glass was seated on the rim. There is quite a detent on the rim to perhaps locate some sort of washer or gasket. The reflector has a cork washer which fits on the other side of the glass. A cork would not sit in the detent in the rim. If anyone knows and can tell where to buy what ever I need it would help enormously. Thanks as always. Andrew

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Re: 8 inch Lucas King of the Road headlight question

Hi Andrew,

I may be in error here, but I've always found that there is a rubber/neoprene/something black edge on the glass, U section, fitting all around the rim. Most of the parts I've picked up with this trim have been second hand so I don't know it they're the right thing - but they keep out the wet and stop the rattles!

These rim strips (if that's the correct name) come with the 8 inch lights sold by Indian firms, also. Perhaps they sell just the strips?

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Ok thanks Allan. I will look into that or fabricate something similar.

I used 5mm diameter rubber foam for the seal between the glass and the rim, as well as between the reflector and the glass, on my DU42. The foam is readily available on ebay. It seems to fit well, although a quick ebay search recommends 6mm.

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Thanks Tom, was this a round rubber section or square? I have bought a round piece for 8 inch Lucas lights as fitted to pre war Cars, thought it may be the same. I will make something up either way.

I used 5mm round profile on both sides of the glass as I couldn't find any square section for the reflector. I could probably have done with 6mm for the seal between the glass and rim though.

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1