Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas MT1130 tail lamp

We've spoken about these "Dan Dare" tail lamps recently in other threads. My research indicates that they were used only on BSA and Ariel for 1939 and spilling over into 1940 for BSA. They are almost impossible to find and usually very expensive if you do.

The one on the left here is a NOS original and fitted to my KC10, which came in it's box with the bike many years ago which was a restoration project.

The one on the right is on my WC10 and one I made from a standard Lucas 1130 car side light. which apart from other work, had to have it's foot reduced and a number plate illumination window produced. The red plastic tell tale in the top is a reproduction and I've recently re-worked it to make a nicer fit. :relaxed:Ron

DSCF3029

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Lucas MT1130 tail lamp

Hi Ron,

Top quality work from you, like always!
Thanks for sharing.

Sven

I had a car type modified recently & lucky to be able to put a new genuine lucas red lens into it

I’m very happy with its appearance - it’s going on a long term early 39 project I am gathering bits for

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Yes John I gather some red lens's have appeared, I know that Nathan had one. I don't know if it's surplus to his requirements now....Or did you buy it? For the time being, mine is an original clear glass lens that I've painted inside with "Stain glass paint" It looks fine but you can't beat the real thing. Ron

The car ones come in either brass (a pressing) or Mazac (monkey metal)....I found the Mazac one pretty easy to alter..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I've made two of these lamps up to now and used the brass ones both times. I can't remember who had the first one? Hopefully I wont have to make another one, but maybe Mazac if I do:thinking_face: Ron

When were they actually fitted ? The 1939 model year KM brochure doesn't show them...Presumably actually just 1939 and then until about 1500 from the end of C5110 ? The highest number I can link a photo to is probably WM20 11349.

I can reference some frames on the irish bikes Rik

I have a frame here - a W type - Oct I think of 39 which had an 1130 fitted & a picture of a 39 W model with its 1130

There is a famous photo of Stanley woods sat on a bike surrounded by recruits which at first glance is a K model but it is in fact an Early W - again with an 1130

Job

Hi Ron

I have been lucky to pick up some red lens, nos & good used Of late

Lucky strike

Job

On the Ariel forum is a webpage about the conversion with measurements...

http://forum.arielownersmcc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4622&p=28668&hilit=lucas+1130#p28668

email (option): mr.bighealey@hotmail.com

Hi Maarten. Henk sent me measurements for the first one I made, but I used that Ariel O.C. spec for the second one.

At first I thought they were used for only the BSA 1940 model year, but they were definitely fitted to the KC10's during May-June 1939. They were also fitted to the 1940 model WC10, but these were also supplied in 1939 (Aug-Sept).

I think they carried on fitting them to M20's until stocks were gone, but carried on using up the number plate with the divot in the top which where also punched to take a standard MT110.

Ron

The earliest image that I know of with the MT1130 is C389369 from Contract A/9764 which was for 298 extended to 398 machines and commenced delivery 27/10/1938 with the last machines arriving 23/1/1939.

C389369

C389369 was the 225th serial number. Looking at daily arrivals at Chilwell, this would suggest November 1938 production.

Anyone have a photo of a KM20 with a lower number ? The MEE had KM20 318 (C389161) late in 1938. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a photo of it somewhere.

Here's one on a WB30 all alloy prototype....Ian.

And an M23...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1