Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Off topic sorry...

I retrieved the engine and gave it a good soak. The engine number still survives on both sides, '6256'. After some research it turns out it is off a Scott Touring Motorcycle, 532cc, before the 'Flying Squirrel' was launched (they started adding prefixes to the number and changed the style of the word 'SCOTT' to a running script). I have dated it to approx. 1922! There is nothing on it to salvage except maybe that water drain valve and a wing nut! Dont know what to do with it now !! I found a pic of one with a close number.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

I did hope for one moment that it may have been a WD bike !

[URL[https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205024092[/url]

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Personally I'd just stand it in one of our flower borders. RIP.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As Ron says one option is to display it in your garden or yard on an appropriate plinth or stand, known in the USA as "Yard Art" I understand.
Otherwise someone in the Scott club may like to have it. Re Scotts and military bikes the only connection I can think of is their three wheeled machine gun carrier from WW1, later developed into the Scott sociable, although there may have also been a few solos used as well. Tony

Everyone should have one....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That actually looks too good to be in the garden Ian

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Just what I thought.

['That actually looks too good to be in the garden Ian...']

It's a classic case of a photo lying in favour of the subject...:laughing: ....The other side of the head and barrel has much of the finning broken off...The gearbox has a hole in it caused by long term corrosion and is rusted internally...The mag and dynamo are rotten etc. etc.....The engine and gearbox had basically fallen out of what was left of the frame and all that's left of the oil tank is the return pipe!!.....

There may be a couple of usable internal parts but nothing of any value or anything I haven't already got multiples of...

It came from a hedge in Worcestershire where it had been for decades....I splashed out £25 on it!!...:relaxed: ..It's got a WDM20 engine as a close neighbour as well....Ian

I really want one as a piece of "Garden Art". Ron

i use them as shop art, i beadblast/sandblast/vaporblast them then weld up little stands out of sq tube and they are all over my shop
but when people need one for their restoration i sell them.. i have a triumph TR5C, BSA C12, 74 Trident, 51 AJS model 30, prewar Blackburne, 50 B31, Villiers, TRW 500, Ariel SQ4, but then i dont have a garden...

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Nearly 4,000,000 square miles of terrain and they haven't given you a little piece of it Kevin? Shame on them:disappointed: Ron

I found this a little while ago in my Dads store shed! Apparently its a 1913 V twin Ariel. He tells me he has the engine etc but its not been uncovered as yet.
%%bbCodeItem_1%%

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

It reminds me of a Triumph Andrew? But probably savable and too good for my flower border.....Doh! Ron

Andrew Honychurch
I found this a little while ago in my Dads store shed! Apparently its a 1913 V twin Ariel. He tells me he has the engine etc but its not been uncovered as yet.
%%bbCodeItem_1%%
sell it to me and ill restore it..its not like i have any gardening to do..

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Kevin...[' Ariel SQ4...']...Is that a MK2?.....I'd like to buy a restorable engine for one of those....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1