Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Correct levers

Would anybody mind sharing a photo of all the correct handlebar levers for a 1944 WM20?
There seems to be different types available, I want to make sure I have the correct ones and also check I’m mounting them in the correct position.
Thanks
Steve

email (option): Sglover1104@gmail.com

Re: Correct levers

I already did this for someone recently, but here goes again. A 1944 M20 had the "Standardized" Amal controls as seen in this illustration.
scan-161218-0001

Royal Enfield's used the same controls throughout (although with a longer valve lifter) as can be seen on these three RE's. Ron
CO-056

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

For references 4 and 7, which is the advance/retard and the choke?

Regards,
Scott D

The choke is always on the right. Ron

Hi Ron,
are these levers used on an October 40 model ?.

email (option): g.long064@btinternet.com

Graham. The first WD M20's were fitted with the BSA pre war levers which is what I have. I'm unsure when the changes took place, but I think that Amal levers were fitted at some time during 1940 but they might have been a more salubrious Bronze/brass make up, followed by steel as economies dictated.
M20-341

My Triumph here has the earlier plated on yellow metal Amal controls. Ron
3SW-164

Thanks Ron .

email (option): g.long064@btinternet.com

This photograph of three machines from contract C6654 conveniently appears to give an indication of the change, although the serial numbers are not all completely visible but they all commence C419 which means that they fall within the range WM20 21000 - 24487 so they would appear to have been using Amal controls by August 1940 at the latest. Possibly a little earlier.

C4199575

Well done Rik. Ron

The levers on these bikes look lethal, particularly on Rons M20, just like daggers ready to stab a poor DR in the leg if he was unlucky enough to slide off in the mud. I wonder if there are any instances of this recorded? No wonder the ACU made ball ended levers compulsory on competition machines after the war,'tho not till the sixties I think,

In the 60's a scrambles rider in the UK was killed by a non ball end lever in a crash...That event lead to the ACU ruling...I guess prior to that a low level of non fatal injuries didn't concern them too much...

I don't think they lived in such a risk averse society in those days either...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Tony, riding a bike that is liable to stab you to death is what keeps you alert and on your toes. At least we're not being shot at too! We call it " Living the dream" :smile: Ron

PS. Those BSA levers are surprisingly comfortable and come with a parking brake:+1:

Ian and Ron, yes I guess such things were not a priority when the poor buggers were more worried about having a couple of Mauser magazines emptied in their direction. Best to keep quiet about it now too, in case the H&S police make us fit ball ends to our lovely old machines.

I've seen also a suggestion that whilst a front number plate may be fitted, any 'blade' without a registration number could be considered to be a vehicle in dangerous condition. Basically, with 14hp side-valves we're living on the edge of legality, as well as life and death. Bollocks to it. I'll ride in a Tommy helmet when I feel like it too.

Bantam gear change rubbers make good substitute ball ends for these levers.
No mods required, slide straight on

email (option): dhmoff54@gmail.com

Oh Bugger,

I guess that means that the combo levers that I had on my Sept 40 M20 for over 20 odd years aren't correct.

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1